• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 barrel 16" with 5R rifling

Gibbs

I certainly did not just join this forum to piss people off. I'm not a troll and since I just bought a DPMS LR 308, I thought it might be interesting to join this forum. 

I never said that Hornady, nor Sierra and their Match King, nor Speer, nor any of the other very reputable bullet makers are putting out imperfect bullets.  In fact, they are probably the best there is out there, bar none.  However, what's in the box, and what leaves the barrel are sometimes two different things.  Is it not possible that perhaps a barrel with imperfections in it's bore, perhaps deeper lands on one side than the other, or any multitude of other little discrepancies, can change the shape of the bullet as it leave the barrel?  A once perfect bullet can be squeezed and have grooves cut into it's copper surface that may impart a small imbalance in it overall.  Is that not possible?

And longer bullets tend to be heavier bullets for a given caliber and often need higher spin to get and keep them stable out there for distances.  Isn't this true?

Gibbs  most barrel makers use the Greenhill Formula and it all has to do with the bullets bc    whatcha gonna use the rifle for?

:) Wash

Well, kind of figuring someday, since I'm 61, I might use it for deer hunting.  My 6.8 SPCII is very capable of that, but I thought it might be nice to shoot and punch some holes in targets, work up a load or two and have fun with it. 

I certainly did not just join this forum to piss people off. I'm not a troll and since I just bought a DPMS LR 308, I thought it might be interesting to join this forum.

I never said that Hornady, nor Sierra and their Match King, nor Speer, nor any of the other very reputable bullet makers are putting out imperfect bullets. In fact, they are probably the best there is out there, bar none. However, what's in the box, and what leaves the barrel are sometimes two different things. Is it not possible that perhaps a barrel with imperfections in it's bore, perhaps deeper lands on one side than the other, or any multitude of other little discrepancies, can change the shape of the bullet as it leave the barrel? A once perfect bullet can be squeezed and have grooves cut into it's copper surface that may impart a small imbalance in it overall. Is that not possible?

And longer bullets tend to be heavier bullets for a given caliber and often need higher spin to get and keep them stable out there for distances. Isn't this true?

I'm certainly guilty of misunderstanding you, and that certainly isn't a first or last offense, so I apologize for coming off as a butthole. I didn't understand you were referring to flaws created by the lands & grooves of the barrel itself. With that said, most blank manufacterers have extreme tolerance standards, but certainly not all.

It was the reference material in the link he posted , that said that the bullets are imperfect .

If you had a barrel that the lands & groves & bore ,was that off , you probably have a barrel that would not print decent groups at all , with any ammo/bullet combo & I would send it back.

The 308 would make a good deer caliber & don't worry about pissing people off here , as long as your not pissing on them. <lmao>

If you look at the reloading section , we have a lot of fun working up loads for the 308. I'm still dorking around with loads for my 16" & 20 "

Edited by survivalshop