• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

desktop press vs drill

Cali_Ed

Hello all with harbor freight always having 20% off coupons. Would a cheap 60 buck drill press be ok for trimming brass? I'll be using a wft trimmer so I just need it to spin. Upside is I don't have to hold the drill just put brass in trimmer. Down side cost more then a cheap drill. A drill has more uses around the house, but I'd be getting a corded drill.

Opinions?

Hello all with harbor freight always having 20% off coupons. Would a cheap 60 buck drill press be ok for trimming brass? I'll be using a wft trimmer so I just need it to spin. Upside is I don't have to hold the drill just put brass in trimmer. Down side cost more then a cheap drill. A drill has more uses around the house, but I'd be getting a corded drill.

Opinions?

that idea has some potential, I have the same issue with my cordless.

Opinions?

I'd forego the HF drill press. Some of their equipment is really good, but that particular item isn't one of them. I've trimmed 1000s of cases with my WFT using both my lathe and a hand-held 1/2" Makita drill. I find I don't need to bevel or debur the case mouth partly because at the end of the trim process, I give a slight twist of the case still in the WFT, opposite the direction of rotation. That motion in a drill press would be very difficult, and it certainly wouldn't be as secure in a drill press.

BTW, if you use a WFT, get a pair of Gorilla gloves to hold the case. They're thin, tactile, grippy and work great.

I use a handheld drill with my WFT, but I clamp it in my bench vise and lock the trigger back and go to town on the cases! Works great that way. I have one of the HF drill presses but the hand drill in the vise works so well I've never tried using the drill press.

BTW, Mineralman is spot on, wear gloves!