• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS Carbine Buffer

I just received my DPMS carbine buffer and spring today and I was surprised how light the carbine buffer is ~ 3.1oz. My question is - the standard buffer weight ok with most ammunition? I guess I should not use an AR15 buffer or AR 9mm buffer to experiment since  the buffer bodies are longer? I'm still awaiting my AP4 barrel which I believe uses a carbine gas system.

Its a simple case of " push come to shove " the bigger/ heavier boy will usually push harder then the lighter boy will.

I agree. You can probably get away with using a lighter buffer if you're using a lightened bolt, but I wouldn't count on a light buffer closing a full-weight bolt every time unless you have a really strong buffer spring. Your felt recoil may or may not be affected, but I think the general idea is how much force you want to close the bolt with, a lot of force comes in handy for stuff like coated surplus ammo.

I guess the idea behind the heavy buffer is not if it works or not, but that I think it slows the carrier down to reduce recoil?  Someone want to add to this?  I think Matt Cross would know a little more about this?

Heavy buffers cut down on felt recoil a little, increase bolt lock time in the barrel extension, and decrease "bolt bounce" after the action cycles. 

Read this link from Vuurwapen Blog, then check the vid link below it:

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2010/07/28/ar15function/

I agree. You can probably get away with using a lighter buffer if you're using a lightened bolt, but I wouldn't count on a light buffer closing a full-weight bolt every time unless you have a really strong buffer spring. Your felt recoil may or may not be affected, but I think the general idea is how much force you want to close the bolt with, a lot of force comes in handy for stuff like coated surplus ammo.

Now, with that said, I do have a lightened bolt carrier.  Its a JP Enterprises model and my rifle functions very well, now that it is broken in.