• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

savage vs remmy

Cali_Ed

Hello guys,

Thinking of getting a bolt action at some point and wanted to know your thoughts on these rifles. Specific lyrics the 700 series for Remmy and what ever the equivalent is for savage. Looking to spend under 700. I want a rifle that has a good aftermarket behind it. I know the savage can be had cheaper which is a good thing but haven't really found tons of stocks for them.

Edited by Cali_Ed

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remington 700 AAC-SD.   $650, new.   You can get used 700 at pawn shops and get them machined and rebarrelled and you will have one helluva shooter as well.  Savage are nice, but if you are on this site you are likely a "gun tinkerer"  and you are not going to enjoy "tinkering with a Savage 10.  

That is my two rounds.  

If you just want something that is accurate out of the box and you don't want to mess with it....ever.....buy a TIkka.  Great shooter, great ergonomics, great accuracy......crappy aftermarket support. 

I like the .308 and that what I chose, but there are multiple reasons I do this.    If you are not "married" to the .308, then look at .243, 6.5CM and .260  Those are great performers as well.  I would suggest against moving to Magnum if all you plan to do is target shoot....at least if you are just starting out with bolt guns.   

If I were to change then I'd have buy dies and such lol 308 ain't bad. And up sides to those other calibers? Maybe less kick? Ect...

It all comes downs to drift, drop, and drag differences and what kind of performance you are looking for.  Each have their benefits and their downsides.  As you know there is no perfect round so you will compromise one for the other.  The .308 is a jack of all trades, master of none.   There are a lot of 6mm and 6.5mm  even 7mm-08 bullets with great BC and as you pointed out less recoil.   My oldest daughter hunts with 7mm-08.  Lots of performance in a low recoiling rifle.

I am confused with you need for "same hole groups:, at 800 yards.

Do you really mean that you want you groups to be in the ,1" and ,2 "  at 800 yds?  I'm going to stick my neck out and say that that is almost immpossible to do repedadly!   Once in a blue moon, yes,repedadly?   No.

A 4" group, at 800 meters would be .2" at 100 yards.

So,  really,,,,,,what is it you want?

Respectfully

Terry

I am confused with you need for "same hole groups:, at 800 yards.

Do you really mean that you want you groups to be in the ,1" and ,2 " at 800 yds? I'm going to stick my neck out and say that that is almost immpossible to do repedadly! Once in a blue moon, yes,repedadly? No.

A 4" group, at 800 meters would be .2" at 100 yards.

So, really,,,,,,what is it you want?

Respectfully

Terry

just a joke brother, I just want to get familiar with a bolt gun and want to get something decent I can tinker with. I apologize. I don't poses the skill to remotely come close to that lol Edited by Cali_Ed

It all comes downs to drift, drop, and drag differences and what kind of performance you are looking for. Each have their benefits and their downsides. As you know there is no perfect round so you will compromise one for the other. The .308 is a jack of all trades, master of none. There are a lot of 6mm and 6.5mm even 7mm-08 bullets with great BC and as you pointed out less recoil. My oldest daughter hunts with 7mm-08. Lots of performance in a low recoiling rifle.

I think I'll most likely stick with 308 thank you brother for your time. Are these bad boys usually single fed or do you use a magazine?

Terry, I don't know if you were around for the original 800 meter debacle. Ed hung in through some pretty serious backlash from just about everyone here and has been a damn good sport about getting razzed about it. Anytime you see reference to 800 meters on this site....you can thank Ed, it was his fault.

Until you shoot both, there is no way to say which is "best" for you. Either rifle is more accurate then I can probably shoot I shoot a Savage Model 116 bolt, my Dad shot a Remington 700, my son shoots a Savage. Find a way to do range time with both before you buy.

Edited by Sisco

As in detachable?

yes sir.

Until you shoot both, there is no way to say which is "best" for you. Either rifle is more accurate then I can probably shoot I shoot a Savage Model 116 bolt, my Dad shot a Remington 700, my son shoots a Savage. Find a way to do range time with both before you buy.

will do I'll see if I can rent one

Before you haul off an buy an Accuracy International....go shoot one....alot. They are great stocks but there are no guarantee you will like them. They are not for everyone.

great point, I'm kind of leaning towards a b&c tactical. I need to make more friend don't know anyone who has a aics