• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

savage vs remmy

Cali_Ed

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I want to spend a bunch until I actually gain more skill and start shooting further.i need to take my lazy butt to a longer range. I like my vortex viper I got for 400 bux 6.5-20x44, but just for the sake of of giving a number I'd say 1500 tops

I'll have to check for one once I purchase the rifle. Would you suggest use the stock it comes from the get go to get a feel or just wait and get a stock before hand

That is a personal preference.  If I have a plan for what I want to do, I just go ahead and start buying crap as soon as it is on sale

I have been down this road. Ok the 700 has more stock options and aftermarket parts. The Savage has a great trigger but the spacing on the bottom metal has changed through out the years making aftermarket stocks more difficult to come by. As far as the Accuracy International Chassis System they are great. Mile High Shooters Supply has them in stock at good prices and a company named Victor Company USA makes aftermarket skins. Pretty much any aluminum system is a chassis while your McMillian, B&C, fiberglass deals are stocks. Both can take single stack mags but you have to have the bottom metal on the stock say Badger Ordinance and it gets pricey. Another thing to consider is having to bed and free float on a fiberglass stock as a chassis you tork it down and forget about it and they are free floated. Finally adjustable length of pull if need be. Depending on the stock it gets expensive and weighty. For the record I was a proud owner of a Rem 700 LTR in a AICS Chassis with a NF scope, badger ordinance bolt lift and timney trigger sold to a friend. Once you go chassis you wont want anything elsee

I own the m700 and m7, the Tikka, the Mossberg 4x4, and the Ruger (m77) GSR Scout... All in .308 (I have a few other calibers as well)

I'm more a fan of the Ruger and Mossberg. The Rem's are really nice, I just prefer the others.

I'd say to look at the Mossberg MVP. I shot BubbaSKS's and can attest to its accuracy.

Do aftermarket stocks make a big impact on how the rifle shoots?

Dude I worked with bought a 700SPS in .308 when they first came out.  Took it to the range and got 1/4" groups with his standard reloads right out of the box!  Talk about stoked!

All he needed to do was replace that crappy plastic stock. A friend of his had a nice McMillan for trade.  Dude installed the McMillan (don't know if he bedded it or what). Groups opened up to a couple of inches.

Back into the factory stock.

As to aftermarket goodies, Remington is the winner hands down.  But it doesn't mean what is the best fit for you will be the Remmy...just means you could spend an awful lot filling a big box with spare parts for the gun show.

The Remington will have more goodie's in the after market world , but Savage has come a long way & make very good shooters now a days & after market parts are based on demand , if the rifle shoots very good from the factory , not much needed to upgrade them . The Bolt action rifle market is not based on Tactical shooting ,its  mostly for hunting rifles . 

I like my 308  Mossberg , I just have not had the time to break her in . Too much time on the 308AR's this past year . I did put a  6x18x 40 Buckmaster on it the other day & will play with her this year some time .

As already said , you should test fire some different rifles before you make a choice . I just buy them & test them , but that doesn't work for everyone. <thumbsup>

Win 70 , Tikka, Ruger American/Scout , Mossberg MVP.

Not. Remy fan , worked on a lot ! (Popular gun)

If you have money to burn ... Get a McMillian stock and a Pacific Tool & Die Action , Bolt and Receiver. With a custom barrel you will have a gun ALL your freinds will want to play with!

I've always liked remmy, just thought I'd consider the savage because they are cheaper. As long as it has a good short action everything else can be replaced right?

I think I may be screwed with just righty rifles... never tried righty idk if non dominant eye can hang

Edited by Cali_Ed

They the my money's through out the year. No idea what a cpa is I apologize

Certified Public Accountant.  They can help you set up your pay so you don't overpay into the Govt and can invest that money elsewhere or spend it on things you want.  You don't get your lump sum at tax season, but you didn't loan the Govt. 2k+ interest free.  

Edited by StainTrain

Decided on a .408 chey tac...

The .375 Chey Tac shoots way WAY flatter, staying supersonic much further out.

Just saying...since you're going all top shelf and stuff.

EDIT:  I'd like to add, 3650 yards!

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2013/05/texas-shooter-nails-target-at-3650-yards-with-375-cheytac/

Edited by planeflyer21

Id go savage no the cheapy off the shelf at your gander mountain or cabellas. Been looking at them a little over a year now. After my expirince with remington and all these recalls I'm done with them, granted I bought a cheap gun it still pisses me off