• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

meplate trimmer and pointer

Cali_Ed

Dude, reload good projectiles, practice consistent reloading techniques, and get good at shooting by practicing the shooting fundamentals...

Reason I state that is:  You're all worried about super-accuracy.  Let that $hit go, and stick to the basics.  You just started jogging, and you're trying to find out how to be the best 1,600-meter Olympic sprinter, due to a certain brand of shoes that sprinters wear...

Master the very basics first, with your shooting technique, AND your reloading technique.  Outshoot your rifle, and your basic loads.  Once you do that, determine if your rifle is your limitation, or if your reloads are your limitation.  Adjust accordingly.

You're trying to do too much, too fast, and I think you're going to be disappointed.  You'll drop a Metric $hit-Ton of money in reloading gear that you don't need, and think that it doesn't work - because your shooting technique needs work.  ***Example, don't get pissed off***

There's a logical sequence to all this, and short-cutting one doesn't necessarily give you benefits overall.

Take your a$s to the 50-yard line, and shoot until you can nail a 1/2" x 1/2" group.  Post those pictures.  That's a 1 MOA group.  Move to the 100-yard line and shoot a 1" x 1" group.  Snatch pics.  Move to the 200-yard line, and shoot a 4" x 6" group - figure out what the hell happened...

Can you smell what I'm spreadin'?...

Edited by 98Z5V

I understand what you are saying and I accept this advice. I'm trying to gain knowledge. I'm keeping my self busy with lots of reading about this hobby. I for see dumping lots o money into rifles and reloading stuff. Yeah most likely I wouldn't need a bullet pointer but that's all you had to say. I get Good projos like the smks and the meplates are not uniform. I know someone here reccomend a meplate trimmer at some point so I asked everyone's opinion and I appreciate yours.

And will take that process and won't move up in yardage until I produce said grouping. It's only logical. just get over excited like a kid at a candy store

Edited by Cali_Ed

Brace yourself, here comes the harsh stuff.  Don't take it personal, 'cause it's not meant that way...

At your stage in the game, you shouldn't even have a reason to know what a meplat is (it's not a "meplate...").  Your concern over how the meplat affects shooting shouldn't even matter - it's not affecting you, at this stage.  With lot's of reading on the subject - do more shooting, on the subject.  With non-uniform meplats on Sierra 168gr SMKs, you should be able to shoot 1MOA at greater distances - on those inferior bullets.  Many people do it, routinely.  That's a point to make - you don't need to do anything but practice consistent reloading techniques with good projectiles, and have good accuracy at longer distances.  You're not out there trying to win your National F-Class Title next weekend.  If that comes in the future, then awesome. 

Don't stick yourself to 1MOA because I used that as an example - use 3MOA as your goal, master that out to 300 yards, and then do the same thing with 2MOA out to 300 yards.  Whatever it is, set your goals.  Gear and badass reloading equipment isn't going to make you a good shooter.  Practicing the shooting fundamentals, mastering those, and outshooting your rifle is going to do that.  After that, find the next limitation.  If you reload consistently with good (appropriate) components, then your ammo isn't going to be your limiting factor for a long time to come.

Like my buddy says "I used to chase exact bullet weights, identical brass, primer pocket uniformity...until I realized I was the biggest variable in all of it.  Now I load ammo and shoot."

This guy routinely shoots 1/2MOA at 100 yards with his Marlin 336 in .30-30 and big flat JSP ammo.

Another dude from MO forum loads HPBT "one at a time" loads for .30-30 and shoots 2 liter bottles at 600 yards.

Like Tom said, work on personal skill first.

To even find out if there is a difference between the untrimmed metplat & a trimmed on would take a lot more specialized equipment , to truly do it in a scientific manor , so I agree with " Father 98 ", shoot more. ( just say , yes Dad ) <lmao>

Is this about your inconsistent COL , that you were talking about before & if so , you may want to look at your Bullet seater/ stem on your die . Try another brand seating die  & see if it makes a difference .

Edited by survivalshop

Many years ago, a friend turned me on to : Start the bullet in the case, lower the ram, turn the ctg case 180*, and finish seating. Dosen't take long, and makes run-out and seatting deapth much more consistant.

Respectfully

Terry

I'll give that a shot I know Ivery read that somewhere before

Here's a 5.56 story - my most accurate "range ammo" for the 5.56 rifles would shock you. Every one of them is a 1:7 or 1:8 twist rifle, and each one excels with heavier loads.  68 and 69 grain loads, then 75 and 77 grain loads.  For 100-yard range ammo, though, these things are surprisingly accurate with my own 55 grain range load:  55gr Hornady FMJ-BT projectiles, whatever .223 Rem or weird 5.56 NATO brass I have (Lake City gets saved for other things), CCI 400 primers, and 25.2 grains of Varget.  That load rocks through a 5.56 rifle on a flat range.

Now, that weight of projo shouldn't do as well through those twists of barrels - but it sure does.  Know why?  Consistency of the load, each time, even despite the variance in brass manufacturer.  I'd load that stuff in a mag and take shooting bets on targets at 100 yards.  <thumbsup>

I just made another 55gr load with RL-15 powder, and it's working pretty damn good.  I'll test more and post it up. 

Just be consistent, brother.  :happydrunks:

Edited by 98Z5V