• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

FNS-9 Update

planeflyer21

Alright...it's been 7 months since I bought the FNS-9.  Out of the box I really liked it.  Wonderful size, great ergonomics.  Went with the smooth-side (no ambi thumb safeties) and the 4" barrel.

These come with three 17-round magazines and a cheap plastic case, also two backstraps--thin and thick.  Checkering is nice and sharp.  The flat and wide trigger made the heavy (maybe 6.5lbs) trigger seem easier.  It is also hinged in the center, ala M&P pistols, rather than the Glock pivoting trigger block method.

One of my first complaints was the sights.  The rear notch is narrow and the front blade is wide, with an extra FAT white dot up front.  Combined with the heavy trigger, it made for a hard time at 100 yards on the steel.

Another is there are a couple of parts in the striker assembly, rather than one solid striker like on the XD/XDM pistols.  A judgement on durability will have to wait.

Most of my pistols are used by students, who run thousands of rounds of ammo through them.  I shoot them new and get an impression.  I shoot them a few months later and get a different impression.

Not so with the FNS-9.  Only two students shot this pistol, no more than a couple of magazines each.  So the break-in was all me, Coy, and Kelly (you Tucson shooters have met them).

It was having some issues with some powder-puff reloads (125gr RNL over 3gr of W321) with fully cycling and ejection.  All the ammo I'm sure.

Finally decided to use up the few hundred rounds left of that ammo can...and I could feel the pistol settle in to ssmmoootthhh!  Literally...over like 3 or 4 shots in one magazine.  The trigger lightened up a couple of pounds, which makes it seem as though the sights aren't as wonky as first thought.

Kelly and I tried it out at 100 yards again, both of us giving windchimes a run for their money.

Damn I love this pistol!

This updated long-term pistol report has been brought to you by Loquaciousity Pocket-Sized Thesaurical Encyclopedic Dictionary