• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

MY new dpms Lr 308 classic

Hi guys. I am very new to the forum and i just ordered a DPMS LR 308 Classic. It is chambered in 7.62NATO. With that being said, i looked at the other thread about the compatability in these new Semi-auto rifles. QUESTION: Can I shoot any type of .308 winchester or other .308 through my DPMS Rifle chambered in 7.62x51mm NATO? AND what are some tips and maybe some techniques to use when getting the most out of my DPMS rifle. I am really using it for hunting and other fun shooting plinking activities ;D. Especially for Coyote hunting. I would rather pick those lil varmints up with a shovel rather than go off and find them  <lmao>. So thank you for your input. <thumbsup>

Welcome, and congrats on your new rifle. Others may disagree, but I would run any type of ammo though it that you can get. I've never had a problem with any kind of surplus or bullet weight. I just wouldn't run anything corrosive. As far as prepping the rifle, do the recommended break in procedure that dpms suggests. It will take a long time if you do it correctly, but you will be rewarded. When you are doing that, it's important to get a true copper solvent. I use Montana Xtreme copper killer 50bmg formula. The most important part about the process is to strip the copper fouling out of the bore, so the next round can help "knock down, and smooth out" machining marks.  I have the 24" bull, and have not found a type of ammo that doesn't shoot at least 1.5 moa at 100yds, and it's not hard finding stuff that will shoot .5 moa, for me. Good luck with it. <thumbsup>

What is the best 7.62 NATO like surplus for plinking? and are there anything like pressures from different ammo that i should worry about? and i am going on info from you. meaning you have had experience with your own DPMS gun? and is it chambered in .308 win? or 7.62 Nato? my father and good friend are constantly worried about both the rounds being shot through it. So please just try and put it in a good easy to put sentence. I plan on showing this to my dad and friend. Thank you. Remember your ammo experience with ammos and all that good stuff.

I have a 308 chamber. While I don't regularly shoot surplus ammo, I will on the occasion, but the 308 chamber is the one that can handle the higher pressure, the 7.62nato is rated for less. Look at all the guys shooting 5.56 out of a 223 chamber. Have you ever heard of anything bad happening? I haven't. Ultimately, this is a personal preference. If I were in your position, I wouldn't think twice about it, I'd shoot whatever works well. In that sense, don't buy an entire case of anything, shoot a little, and inspect all of the spent brass for bulges, flattened or popped out primers. You should also check around on ar15.com and DPMS's own forum for sure, it is www.dpmsinc.com/forum.  I'm sure the same issue has been addressed many times. You could always eliminate any issue in question, by reloading your own ammo.

OK.  Thanks guys :). I will be shooting .308 165-168 grain ammo through it more than than the 7.62NATO. But I talked to a guy that runs a shooter supply and he said they put tougher bolts in the DPMS guns. And that nothing will happen with shooting any .308 ammo. But the 165-168 grains will be my best bet for hunting or other stuff. I shot an M1A at a gun range in Oklahoma City, and it was chambered in 7.62NATO, and we shot .308s through without any trouble. And this gun was used a lot of times, judging by the wear and tear on it. One last question. What type of Match Grade 7.62NATO should i get? For buying lots of it.

Here's a site that will give you some variety.

-http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/.308_Winchester_7.62x51mm

I've heard decent things about Prvi Partizan.  This isn't a bad deal.

-http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/products_id/5488

-http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/336.php

If you use the search function, you should find plenty of references