• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PA 4-14X44 Mil/Mil FFP help

Ok I'm looking to buy new optics, maybe PA 4-14X44 Mil/Mil FFP,  for my AR10 with a 16" barrel. This gun will not be shot out past 500 yard, if even that. I was looking for a decent optic that will not break the bank and have seen a few of yall talk about these.

Can you give me a good review. Is this something that I will have to replace in 3 years?

One nice thing is Primary Arms' shop is about 20 minutes from me so I'll drive over to look at one within the next few days.

I was leaning towards the SWFA 3-15X42 but that is a little pricey. I don't want to limit my gun with sub par optics.

I recently purchased the PA scope on my .308 AR and so far I'm not dissatisfied.  I've only taken it out once to zero it.  I had a little bit of difficulty initially finding zero with it at first but when I did get it finally dialed in it seems to be holding.  Good light gathering and decent eye relief.  Parallax adjustment does what it's supposed to do. Turret clicks feel a little squishy, but there is a definite audible 'click' and the mil/mil setup is nice to say nothing of it being FFP.

Once I finally got onto the paper it was pretty short work from there to count the dots in the reticle and count the clicks to get to zero.  I've only shot it at 100 yards where I could tell I was hitting anything, but when I do my part the bullet goes where it should.  I attempted several near 500 yrd shots shooting uphill from a sitting position and shooting off of trigger sticks but I 'think' I only hit once and most likely not at all.   My buddy spotting says I hit once and I know I had several very near misses out of about 15 attempts to hit a man sized steel torso.  However, the wind was pretty gusty left to right that day and nailing the wind read was a real challenge.  FWIW, my buddy who was with me wasn't doing any better with his 30-06 bolt gun at that distance.

I'm not the most precise or even the most experienced shooter in the world and I believe the PA scope and my rifle are capable of far more accuracy than I am.  I've run about 80 rounds so far on mine and no issues with it coming apart or anything like that.  Just issues with myself doing my part right HAHA!.. <thumbsup>

I've got that optic on a .22lr bolt gun.  Works great for that.  Terrible eye relief.  But for $159, it's awesome. 

FYI, these two are the same scope with a different label & knobs when they exited the Chinese factory:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/456482/bsa-tactical-mil-mil-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-4-14x-44mm-side-focus-1-10-mil-adjustments-first-focal-mrad-reticle-matte

http://swfa.com/Falcon-Menace-4-14x44-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P47408.aspx

So I got the optics today and my initial impression is, wow its really freaking clear. The eye relief is picky at full magnification. The turrets are a little squishy but you can definitely feel where it is supposed to be. It is a little heavy but no complainants from me. My AD-Recon 1-piece mount should be here Friday so I'll decide if I am happy enough to keep it once it is mounted on the gun.

I've got the 4-14 ACSS from PA.  I did quite a bit of research, but basically it sight unseen.  I'm pretty satisfied with it overall.

I agree the glass is clear, and I like the reticle.  And I wanted FFP with BDC.  But it is heavy and the turrets clicks are mushy, but they can be adjusted/lubricated according to some posts I saw.  Maybe they will just wear in.

I really wanted the illuminated reticle for two eye aiming at the 4x per the acog BAC, but I just can't get it to work all that well.  Only the horseshoe lights up, so when the background is dark you can no longer use the bdc or rest of the reticle.

Comparatively my Nikon P223 in the same magnification is clearer, lighter and has a kind of reflective reticle that shows up well on dark backgrounds.

I think the PA scope was a great value and I plan to use it as long as I can.

Comparatively my Nikon P223 in the same magnification is clearer,

What P223 do you have that's 4~14 magnification?  Or, are you talking about setting a P223 at the same magnification, and comparing?

• 3 weeks later...

I have that scope on my M1a and I am very happy with it. On my WW 308 I put my 40 year old Leupold 6X that they overhauled for me for free. I put a B-Square riser on the rail to give me charging handle clearance and use a set of Leupold QD rings to be able to strip it down quickly. It holds zero just fine and, well, I like it.