• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Fulton Armory 18.5" Barrel Contour Options

ingEneer22

I have narrowed it down to 2 barrels. Both 18.5" Rifle Length Criterion (sold by Fulton Armory). One is their Light contour, chrome lined and the other is their Medium contour, stainless. Both can be found here >http://www.fulton-armory.com/far-308-barrels.aspx

My question is, chrome lined vs stainless aside, will I loose much accuracy going with the light contour vs the medium. I would love the parkerized finish but if I need, I can always get the stainless cerakoted. My intentions for this rifle are to do a little hunting while also being able to drive tacks at the range. Max probably realistically not past 600 yards. 

The light contour appeals to hunting aspect and due to being chrome lined it is parkerized and will be more durable. 

I just assume that the medium contour will be more accurate. The added weight and stainless is unappealing though.

For hunting , I would go with the lighter weight also & I would think the Stainless would have a slight edge in accuracy . I would think the Stainless would do well in the elements , wouldn't think twice about taking one out Hunting .

Once the action is broken in , I think you will find both Barrel types , will be quite accurate at moderate ranges . I like Criterion Barrels , I have two of them in 308 AR's.

I have narrowed it down to 2 barrels. Both 18.5" Rifle Length Criterion (sold by Fulton Armory). One is their Light contour, chrome lined and the other is their Medium contour, stainless. Both can be found here >http://www.fulton-armory.com/far-308-barrels.aspx

My question is, chrome lined vs stainless aside, will I loose much accuracy going with the light contour vs the medium. I would love the parkerized finish but if I need, I can always get the stainless cerakoted. My intentions for this rifle are to do a little hunting while also being able to drive tacks at the range. Max probably realistically not past 600 yards. 

The light contour appeals to hunting aspect and due to being chrome lined it is parkerized and will be more durable. 

I just assume that the medium contour will be more accurate. The added weight and stainless is unappealing though.

For hunting...go short and light...16" is good to 500 moa....these 308's become heavy before you know it...there is  no reason to go 18.5"...my 18 is a safe queen...all my 16's get use...just sayin   :) Wash

Check out my posts about my rifle.  I used the 18.5" Criterion lightweight by Fulton and love it.  I just posted my load development from the past 2 weeks in the reloading section and I can say I have been impressed.

dpete    you call that impressive?  ???    here's a 16" brand new not even sighted or broken in with Privi 168 crap ammo

shorter is better

image.jpg1_zpsm24wr11k.jpg

this rifle weighs in at 8lbs 1once with empty mag and scope....how much does yours weigh? 

image.jpg4_zpsc5ixu51u.jpg

:)  Wash

That's 2.4 lb. on the light weight 18.5   <laughs> I think my 16" HB weighs around  2.9 lb. also .

Survival  yep you're right the 18.5 light is 2.4....still too heavy for my taste....my latest 16" barrel comes in at 1lb 12oz.. one would think that talkin bout ounces is crazy talk on barrels/rifles...but it all adds up,and for the new guys that build their first...they can have a rifle that ends up being not fun to hunt with, or even plink with....:)  Wash

Survival  yep you're right the 18.5 light is 2.4....still too heavy for my taste....my latest 16" barrel comes in at 1lb 12oz.. one would think that talkin bout ounces is crazy talk on barrels/rifles...but it all adds up,and for the new guys that build their first...they can have a rifle that ends up being not fun to hunt with, or even plink with.... :)  Wash  

That's a light Barrel . I wonder , do we weigh our hunting rifles ? I have never compared , but I will today. A lighter Barrel definitely helps bringing any rifle up to take a shot or scope game .

The 308AR I'm building now will be as light as I can get it , it will be a hunting rifle & since I have a 16 & 20" , I will probably go to a light wt. 18.5 " or maybe  if they have a light 16"bbl.. Haven't made my mind up yet .

Survival   nope we dont prolly weigh the rifles until its built and then find out ...how did it get this heavy?

Most first time builders have prolly already built an ar15 and dont realize what they will end up with weight wise in a ar308...until after its built...just like my first build...used a Super Sass barrel...oh my gosh...took it out twice before I got rid of it.

The barrel and then the rail contribute to most of the weight...which is hanging out front...and then the stock... just putting it out there for the new guys on their first build...maybe if they are over 6 ft  got big cannons for biceps they wouldnt care?   :) Wash

I can picture , POPEYE Biceps .  <lmao>  

I think 8# for a hunting rifle is , well , on the heavy side , but I haven't weighed the Hunting firearms I use . 8 # may not be a big deal , being a good scope is going to weigh more than a inexpensive one . If you really look at some of the semi auto rifles out there , even in some Magnum calibers , they are not as , how can I say , over built , so to speak , as far as their make up . Where even an AR 15 is built pretty good , when compared . 

That may be part of the extra #'s a 308AR has . Over built X 2 , look what DPMS did to the GII , they seemed to shave some #'s off & still kept the same basic platform .  Still , walk around with the Rifle all day & see how you feel about it . <dontknow>

You know what could be a good new profession , Pro Rifle Barer , it would be like a Golf Caddy , 308AR for that Deer or a 300 WM for the Elk , 'Sir "  <lmao> " Its about 300 yards "

Wash you asked what my rifle weighs and with an empty mag, scope, and sling its 10# 2oz.  While I was waiting for the last of the parts to get here I weighed what I had.

Barrel = 2# 8oz          Criterion 18.5" lightweight profile from Fulton Armory

Brake and washer = 4oz      Bully Brake from Overkill Customs here in WI

Upper & barrel nut = 1# 3oz   1st part of Aero enhanced upper combo

15" keymod handguard = 9 oz  2nd part of Aero enhanced upper combo

BCG = 1# 6oz   Aero NiB

Stock, spring, buffer, & RE = 1# 3oz

Pistol grip = 3oz

LPK = 4oz   Aero 308 LPK

Total of these parts = 6# 12oz

When I weighed these I was still waiting for the lower, and gas block to get here.  The lower, scope, gas block, and sling account for the rest of the weight.  My hunting is done from a tree stand, so what extra weight there is just holds it steadier when its resting on the gunrest rail of the stand.  I'm glad your happy with how yours shoots.  Considering this rifle is my first foray into .308 and building one from scratch I think I can be impressed with how I'm doing so far.  Shooting any new weapon has a learning curve and I'm sure you are much farther along it than I am.  Best of luck with what you shoot and what you shoot at.