• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

155gr. SMK's

survivalshop

I really haven't had a chance to see what the Nosler will do , I'm still into load development , will know more tomorrow about the final charge wt. of TAC. They both are shooting pretty good , but as I said , not enough trigger time with them both . The AMax's are less expensive , that's for sure.

Edited by survivalshop

I'm surprised the Noslers were pulling the numbers that they did initially, with the variance in the bullet.  They're running some kinda voodoo black magic $hit with those things in order to do that. 

It's like tuning a 2-stroke...  <lmao>

When I did a test with 150gr tipped bullets SMK's and Hornady more accurate that the Noslers. They were also less expensive. The groupings were all under 2moa. The test with the 125gr tipped bullets wasn't so good. Groups were 2" to 3" and the wind blew the light projectiles.

Didn't matter which gun was used 16,20 or 24 inch I had wrong twist rate for such light projectiles.

I made up two boxes of 155gr A Max's and only shot one mag worth at bottles and they were on target.

Side point on 223 tipped projos ,A max ,Z Max are very accurate, like 1moa !

I think the meplate on the Bullet ,is the culprit in the varying lengths . Even though they are not that great of a difference , it might effect grouping  . We will find out if I can get back to the range , it was far to windy today .

If I had one of those fancy Meplate uniformers , maybe I could get them all as close as the Hornady's are .

Why should I have to do that on a Match Bullet ?   <dontknow>

Side point on 223 tipped projos ,A max ,Z Max are very accurate, like 1moa !

Yep, I concur.  I've got some 5.56 60gr Amax loads that knock the lights out through the 1:8" twist barrels.  Great projectiles. 

• 4 weeks later...

I measured all the Nolser 155 match bullets that were not loaded , count was 199 so I have shot or waiting to be shot 51 so far , here are the size groups , because most the difference isn't much , I don't think most won't make a difference in shorter range shooting . Thing is , I am anal about loading & think every round I load should be good for a 1000 yards . I know I most likely will not shoot that far with them , but I load them as I would . All the COL , even with the large differences in bullet OAL will most likely not make a difference in the ranges I will shoot them .

1.158 "- 1.161" = 29

1.155" - 1.157" = 21

1.150" - 1.154" = 131

1.148"               = 17

1.146                 = 1

I took a fine flat file & laid it on my bench &  took a 1.161" bullet & it only took a few light short swipes on it with the tip of the bullet to get to 1.153" , so I think its may just be burr's on the meplat . My plan is to test these in a couple of ways, once I tune the charge wt. , some with out any care about which bullet OAL is loaded & some in just the OAL range they fall into . The 1.148" lengths are just going in the 1.150-1.154 " length pile , because I'm not going to be that picky at the short range I will be shooting them ( 200 yards & under )

Another thing is , what is the Ogive & it may be more important the the Bullets OAL . I don't have a Bullet Comparator , so I'm not sure of them .