• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Rifle tube and spring, with carbine buffer?

ChaseFan9

A buddy of mine brought me his PSA PA-15 today. He switched out the carbine stock with an A2 a while ago. He said he ran 300 RDS through it the other day with no hiccups, so I figured I'd clean it up a little bit.

I noticed the face of the buffer right away, with that nice black finish and PSA insignia, so I decided to pop her out and take a better look. Lo and behold, it's running with a carbine buffer. I called buddy and he said he replaced the buffer tube and spring, but left the buffer.

Now he said it ran fine with it, but I still feel kinda funny about it. I know you can't run an AR-15 buffer in a .308 due to the .223 buffer being longer, but will a .308 rifle length buffer work in an AR-15? I just happen to have a spare .308 buffer, and I think it's only like 1/5 oz heavier.

The .308 rifle length buffer is shorter than an AR-15 rifle buffer. Is his BCG crashing into the lower? I'd look for marks on the lower/receiver extension where the shoulder of the BCG (where the diameter goes up and the rails begin) might be crashing into it.

I just noticed the top of the face of the lower where the ext. mounts the anodizing is starting to show signs of wear. The back of the gas key has a light silver line of wear, which makes me think the gas key was impacting the receiver.

The rifle has a full auto bcg, which may be why there isn't any real damage, or even signs. The wear is so tiny I had to take a second look when you posted to see anything, farkle

I just don't understand how he didn't have any problems. I mean, dude is a Marine who works with guns all day, so it seems like he would notice something not feeling right.

Easy fix, I just need a rifle length buffer, I was just thinking, if it ran fine with the carbine buffer, would the .308 rifle buffer be safer (or at least enough to test fire without doing any damage)?

but will a .308 rifle length buffer work in an AR-15?

No.  It's too short.

Your buddy's AR15 carbine buffer is too short to run in his rifle-length receiver extension, too.  He's gonna fuk some parts up, so educate him quick, before he's buying another lower.

Show him this pic:

DSCN9001.jpg

Right after you show him that pic, bitch-slap him in the back of the head, and tell him he's an idiot.  <thumbsup>

No. It's too short.

Your buddy's AR15 carbine buffer is too short to run in his rifle-length receiver extension, too. He's gonna fuk some parts up, so educate him quick, before he's buying another lower.

Show him this pic:

DSCN9001.jpg

Right after you show him that pic, bitch-slap him in the back of the head, and tell him he's an idiot. <thumbsup>

10-4, Major :)

Buffer (and spring to be safe) on the way. Pics tomorrow, probably. Phone's about to die

Sorry it took a minute, had to get permission:

IMG_20150516_023036_zps3mlbbcp_edit_1431

IMG_20150516_023211_zpsyzaofmux.jpg

You can see on the top of the lower the gas key shaped rectangle starting to wear through the anodized layer, and the gas key itself has matching wear. It shows up so much better with the flashlight, but the glare makes it worse than it is.

Needless to say, my buddy was pretty embarrassed, but he was glad I caught it when I did. Just goes to show, even a Marine makes mistakes (though some may not admit it)