• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

SR762 Rear Takedown Pin

ChaseFan9

Several guys here have built off Matrix Aerospace receivers (the manufacturer of Ruger's receivers) and run into the same issue; the rear takedown detent spring is too short. I don't own an SR762 or I'd do it myself, but can anyone check and see how Ruger solved this problem?

Edited by ChaseFan9

I know, SS, that's why I started this thread, just in case someone with a Ruger missed it. Since the SR762 and Matrix set are supposedly the same set, I want to see if Ruger tapped the receivers or just use a spacer, or if they're even drilled for the rear takedown detent in the rear instead of the bottom of the lower.

Good looking out, though :)

• 1 month later...

If this comes up again - Ruger SR-762 lower receiver is identical to the Matrix Aerospace M-762 lower receiver.  I did this:

I tackled the Matrix takedown spring area this way - cut a second spring and stacked them.  i should have used a small washer to separate the two springs, but can't find a washer small enough.  I doubt the springs will connect (spiral together at the ends) based in the amount of movement there is there.  If they do, it's not a big deal, not a high-risk area.

I figured I needed the spring to stick out as much as it does on any other AR15 build, which is about this much:

M1_zpsfwqiytwg.jpg

I stacked the two springs together (detent and takedown pin in place), and just cut it off there.  Looked right.

Length on both springs, end-to-end:

M2_zps3jbvrnea.jpg

Didn't feel like drilling the lower to use a 6-32 set screw, so I just ran the 4-40 tap in the stock hole - no drilling required to run a 4-40, if you decide that. 

M3_zps4nyofxol.jpg

4-40 set screw going in:

M4_zpsxqo2cf4e.jpg

Done:

M5_zpsg21lxpb4.jpg

• 6 months later...