• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Good rail for remy 700

Looking for a good rail  for my newly purchased bolt action. Any reccomendations. 

Edit: after looking through 6 pages I found brother 98 reccomend to another member a larue rail, which I had already had in mind. But still looking for opinions.

Edited by Cali_Ed

Evolution Gun Works.  I'd recommend that now, after buying 2 of them.  They fuckin' rock.  <thumbsup>

http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=product&id=1400

They make that mount in 0 MOA, 20 MOA and 30 MOA.  If you're going to use this rifle at various ranges, out to 1k, run the 20 MOA under a gooood scope with at least 50 MOA if internal elevation adjustment.  If you'll ONLY be shooting long, say 800~1100, then get the 30 MOA.

Nope, but you can if you want.  Bed that thing with JB Weld and bolt it down.  Seriously. 

Do you know the technique for bedding a top rail, Ed?  No offense intended, it's a specific procedure.

Edited by 98Z5V

Get your mount, and set it on top of your action - it might be flush, and require nothing.  It might be "not flush" also.  If you suspect it's not, put the rear bolt in and tighten it down.  If the front of the rail isn't touching the action, then it's not flush.  Switch, and do the same - one bolt in front, tighten, see if it's sticking up off the rear of the action.  if it's not flush, you'll have to bed it.  Use JB, seriously.  Tighten down the front, and use the JB under the rear, set it up loosely with the screws in the back.  Use black shoe polish as a release agent on the screw threads, and in the screw holes in the action, and in the top of the action where the JB will touch.  Let that joker cure for days.  The JB will harden, and become part of the rail base. 

I'm pretty positive there's a writeup on SH about it.

Does it give you good clearance if you are single loading?

Also why did you make the change from larue to egw?

1.  Yes, plenty of room for single loading.  Hard to see from the EGW pics, but there's plenty of room

2.  Money.  Money, money, money.  The EGWs are everything I need, built extremely well, and less money. 

EDIT - 3.  Picked the first one up for the Savage FV-SR build/transformation.   Got WAY into them because they were the first people making a rail for the Mossberg MVP. The rest is history.

Edited by 98Z5V

Do you guys belive in keeping the scope base and rings the same kind of material for expansion purposes? Or does  only matter for extreme climates?

I apologize if this is double posting the website changed mobile wise for me and is giving me a hard time

What the fuk is gonna expand, man?  You gonna get that aluminum upper receiver so damn hot, so fast, that you're worried about steel rings expanding at the same rate?!!?

You're talking about either a 2-stroke engine, or a machinegun, now.  Stop fucking worrying about that poop on your rifle.  You're not in a Zombie Apocalypse scenario.

What the fuk is gonna expand, man?  You gonna get that aluminum upper receiver so damn hot, so fast, that you're worried about steel rings expanding at the same rate?!!?

You're talking about either a 2-stroke engine, or a machinegun, now.  Stop fucking worrying about that poop on your rifle.  You're not in a Zombie Apocalypse scenario.

just a question brother

Cali, 

I ask this a lot....What are you going to be doing with this bolt gun?  If it is just going to be at the range doing sleepy time shooting (prone), and you will be static, you can get by with some pretty budget oriented items (I don't recommend them, but you can make them work)  If you are going to hump, compete, run, skull drag, etc, then your gear selection for the bolt is more crucial.  Right now, I recommend a good aluminum rail and rings that fits your budget.  Make sure it mates to your surfaces and you are good to go.  If you are going to be moving and abusing this rifle, then the answer and price point is going to change.   

For now the scope I plan on using are my vortex and the bobro mount it's mounted on. This rifle I plan on possibly back backing it and shooting diffrent distances out in the country side and hunting if it's not to heavy. Definitely not going to be a range only rifle.

I don't like to cheap out when it comes to my guns lol

Edited by Cali_Ed