• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

26 inch barrel and lower recoil

Papa

Howdy,

I am thinking of the 26 inch bull barrel on the Varmint A4 as opposed to the 20 inch for reasons of reduced recoil.  Old injury that does not need to be aggravated...

Am thinking of a muzzle brake also, but thought I might not need it with the 26 inch bull. 

Your thoughts?  Thanks...

This one would be more like 12 lbs.  The weight does concern me, but not near as much as the full recoil of a .308 with an 8 lb rifle. 

I can always stop and rest carrying the rifle, and plan to mate it with a bipod.  The tripod I guess is a joke based on the physics of it all, but like I said, I am here to learn from those who know.

Thanks...

Oh, plan to attempt to reduce the wild hog population with the rifle more than anything else. 

Actually the Tripod is no joke. Larue sells the whole package. Member Tacblade here has the setup too I believe.

Hmm 12# with a 26" bull barrel. What stock? That seems the most likely place to hit that weight. The down side is the balance will suck with a light stock.

Here's my 24" DPMS http://308ar.com/build2/DPMS_LR-308_Build_2_final.jpg 

PRS?

Well, maybe you could start a "Show us your favorite .308" thread, including stats.  Two categories, complete builds, and complete rifle with any modifications.  Just a thought borrowed from the AR15 sites. 

Picatinny Rail System?

• 1 month later...