• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New to AR's and new to site

Horribilis

I finally caught the AR bug after years of being content with my SKS.  I saw a Remington R-25 at a gun show a couple months ago - it was chambered in .308.  I spoke to the guy and he told me that they also come in 7mm-08 and .243 Winchester.  My interest was peaked....I had been considering a 25-06 to fill the void in my arsenal between my .22 mag and .300 Win. Mag.  Once I heard that I could get an AR in .243, I started researching...that lead me to this site and I have decided to go the route of an AR-243 instead of a bolt 25-06.  This will mainly be a coyote, plinking, varmint and occasional antelope gun.

Yes - since I am a total AR newbie I am going with complete upper and lowers to pin together and start rocking-n-rolling.  I have neither the know how nor tools to build up my own lower or upper...just being honest about my limitations - hahaha

That being said, I have ordered a DPMS complete LR-243 upper in the 20" heavy barrel variety, and I am on the verge of following that up with a Tactical Machining complete TM-10 lower with collapsible stock.  Things are getting exciting!

SWEET! Received my DMPS upper and mags on Friday. Ordered my Tactical Machining lower with collapsible stock last Monday - it won't be ready for about 3 weeks. Currently researching scoping and mounting options. Also looking at lasers to put on also for CQ targeting.

I am now wondering how difficult it is to swap out the handguard on the DPMS upper assembly.  I am thinking that I want to put a multi-rail handguard on.

Will any AR handguard work, or are there only certain ones that work with the large frame AR's?  How difficult a task is this?

Here is a photo of the upper assembly I got:  597175.jpg

Looking at it again - maybe the way to go isn't to replace the whole handguard - but just the deal right at the front end that has the Piccy rail on top where the front site can be mounted....can that be replaced with a quad-rail mount?  What is that part called?

My end game for sites are: 1) scope for long distance blasting; 2) laser for close quarters, and 3) maybe a tactical light.

The options I've found so far are:

Anyone have any experience with these different options?

My end game for sites are: 1) scope for long distance blasting; 2) laser for close quarters.

The options I've found so far are:

Quad Rail Gas Block

133226.jpg

45 degree offset:

336284.jpg

Tri-rail to mount on top of the receiver rail:

676562.jpg

The thingy in front of the float tube is the gas block. They make a myriad of sling attachments for picatinny rails. You need to figure out what kind of sling you want to use first. A three piece float tube with quad rails would be a better choice than a quad rail gas block. I'm using a LaserMax  red laser on my M-4 piston house gun, but don't recommend it as it's kind of fragile. A green laser would be better for hunting but they're pricier than the red, but easier to see at any distance.