• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

lapping tool

82HALO

Don't get me wrong , I lap all of mine , but only the last item,  of the above , those other items may be a added benefit , I lap to make sure I have a good flush Flange seating surface .

82Halo 

Have you cycled a Dummy round through this rifle & had issues  or have you test fired it ?

what tool do you use to lap a 308 receiver? Haven't been able to find any!

Ok, got some images of the gap between the hand guard and receiver. Also the step between the receiver and barrel extension. Did feed around through it, firing pin out! It cycled fine, but, chewed up the bullet with sharp edges on the m4 feed ramp where the the bolt goes through.

20160126_172756.jpg

20160126_173052.jpg

20160126_173913.jpg

20160126_174402.jpg

Halo   ive never seen ramps that are that sharp....I would get in touch with the barrel maker....maybe they missed a couple of steps?  If that was mine...back it would go               Wash

Looks like the ramps on my Sig P716 when I got it, cut my finger feeling her up! They "polished" them when I shipped it back the first time.........

Feeding & then extracting a loaded round will almost always leave some kind of marks on the Bullet & brass to some extent , not from feeding , its from extracting .

Every one is jumping on the Barrel , what if its an issue with the Upper Receiver ? I can't see the rest of the Barrels extension to see how it mates within the Upper Receiver to tell if its seated to far in .

Lock the BCG back & Insert a loaded Magazine & see how the actual loaded rounds (dummy rounds preferred ) line up with the feed ramps , does the lowest sitting round look like it will feed & hit the Upper receive or will it feed onto the Feed ramp on the Barrel extension ? You don't have to feed any ammo to see this through the Ejection Port . 

One other thing , the Firing Pin locks the Carrier Cam Pin in place , with out the FP , you could really lock up the BCG into the Receiver .

Personally , I would test fire the rifle if Head Spacing is correct .

Feeding & then extracting a loaded round will almost always leave some kind of marks on the Bullet & brass to some extent , not from feeding , its from extracting .

Every one is jumping on the Barrel , what if its an issue with the Upper Receiver ? I can't see the rest of the Barrels extension to see how it mates within the Upper Receiver to tell if its seated to far in .

Lock the BCG back & Insert a loaded Magazine & see how the actual loaded rounds (dummy rounds preferred ) line up with the feed ramps , does the lowest sitting round look like it will feed & hit the Upper receive or will it feed onto the Feed ramp on the Barrel extension ? You don't have to feed any ammo to see this through the Ejection Port . 

One other thing , the Firing Pin locks the Carrier Cam Pin in place , with out the FP , you could really lock up the BCG into the Receiver .

Personally , I would test fire the rifle if Head Spacing is correct .

Picture 3, look at the left feed ramp, on its right side you can a small smear of copper on it going up to the sharp edge of the bolt cutout. The rounds do line up with the barrel extension ramp, just to the right of center. Will not hit the receiver. Hard to get a good picture of the round, but, the scraps on it really look like they come from that bolt cutout, there is copper on it as well.

Head space did check out ok, just wont be able to get out to shoot for a while with all the snow here right now!

• 3 months later...