• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LR308 Self Build

Building an LR308, and am waiting on major parts right now.  Should be about 3 weeks at the most before I can shoot it, so we'll see how this goes.  Currently, the lower is 100% complete, but I'm waiting on all the upper parts right now (stripped upper, Fulton 18.5 SS MW barrel, Fulton BCG, and Troy rail).  The stripped upper will probably beat everything else to the house, but the rail will be in on Friday or Monday.  Fulton is literally up the road from me, so that stuff should be arriving pretty quickly.

Here's the lower, as it sits - done:

LR30808.jpg

I put the Magpul MIAD on it yesterday, and immediately noticed the way the grip fit - little bit of an edge at the base of the grip, where it fits up to the DPMS LR trigger guard.

LR30804.jpg

LR30805.jpg

That made today "Dremel Time..."  I used a small grinding stone on low speed, and molded the bottom of the grip to fit a little better with the 308 platform - this pic looks a little ugly, but this was just a "progress pic;" I used some fine sandpaper on it to smooth it after this:

LR30807.jpg

Little bit of CLP after the fine sanding, and you can't even tell it wasn't made for this lower:

LR30806.jpg

More to follow, as the rest of the major parts show up...

Big Brown Truck dropped off the bigger parts today: stripped upper, Fulton chromed BCG and the Fulton 18.5" SS medium weight barrel.  I raided the scope from a bolt gun and put it in the Armalite mount, so it'll probably stay on this build now.  Few more days of waiting on the rail, then it's small parts time.

Here's how she's sitting now:

LR-30809.jpg

This may end up getting moved to the Fulton Armory section - don't know.  Fulton's not building it, but it'll end up being almost all Fulton parts when it's finished.  The only things DPMS on it are the stripped lower and upper, and the LPK. 

I worked the stock DPMS trigger over with a Dremel polishing wheel and some jeweler's rouge - it's a hell of alot better than it was stock, and it beats paying someone for a trigger job, or maybe even buying a trigger.  I don't have a trigger weight scale, but it's a definite improvement for a few minutes worth of work.  I'll post up a separate thread on that, and I'll pull the trigger out for pics before the final buildup.

I can't wait to get out and shoot this beasty - it's crushing me... 

I did get thet Troy MRF-308 rail in today, so it went right on.  It'll have to come off when the small parts get here, though, so it's not loc-tited in place.  Super easy install.

At this point, I still need a buffer and buffer spring, charging handle, lo-pro gas block, gas tube and gas tube pin.  All that stuff gets ordered Monday.  Once I've got that, it's hitting the range.

LR-30810.jpg

Thanks, bandit!  I've had the look of what I wanted in my head for quite awile, and it's almost there now.  I need a little more LOP on the stock, but that's just what I think from getting it together, without firing it yet.  I don't want to get away from the A2 stock and go PRS on it, so I've been thinking about adding a Sierra Precision adjustable buttplate to it.  I'll know for sure after I do the initial shoot on it.

I've been eyeballing your 24" pics, too - I'm liking that one.  ;D

Minor update - small parts for the stripped upper came in today, so they went on.  The forward assist parts and ejection port door parts.  Later this week I'll have the charging handle, gas tube and pin, and lo-pro gas block.  At that point, it'll be a shooter.  Range update, depending on parts arrival, will be no later than Tuesday afternoon, March 9th.

Got the BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 in the mail today.  I'll get pics into this thread in a little while.  Pretty nice item. 

Here it is, with the 5.56 Mod 3 handle on bottom, the new one in the middle (Mod 3, large latch also), and the stocker on top:

BCM308GF1.jpg

Quite the difference in what's "grabbable...":

BCM308GF2.jpg

Another 5.56 vs. .308 comparo:

BCM308GF3.jpg

Very, VERY nice clearance at the back of the scope:

BCM308GF4.jpg

BCM308GF5.jpg

BCM308GF6.jpg

BCM308GF7.jpg

Drew, I'll get you some better pics in better light.  Sun is going down here now, so it's not so good.  Bottom line - one-handed, even more -one-finger- charging is incredibly easy now.  Makes a HUGE difference, even on the .308.  A very worthy upgrade, IMHO.

Slight update - time was a wastin'!  ;D

Gas tube came in, gas tube roll pins, everything.  Waiting on a YHM 7.62 Phantom, but that won't stop me from shooting this thing.  However, the local guy I got the rail from is the same guy I'm getting the PRI gas block from.  When the gas tube came in last Thursday, I called for an update on the gas block.  He was glad that I called, because he forgot to order it.  Anyway, it came in today.  I'll pick it up first thing in the morning and get everything on the gun finalized, and I'll take it out on Thursday for it's initial shoot.  Thursday afternoon sometime (hopefully), I'll have some target pics up here.  With a Fulton BCG and Fulton National Match barrel, I'm curious (VERY curious) on how it's gonna print on the target.  :o

Gas system is installed, YHM .308 Phantom cam in today, and everything is finalized.  She goes on the firing line in the morning!  ;D

EDIT - Hit the range with it, and I'm kinda happy!  Shoots well, and I didn't do my part today, so much.  Put the first 60 rounds through it, 168gr open tipped boat tail.  First target is the final 10-round group at 50 yards, where I sighted the scope initially.  Second target is at 100 yards, and I just left the scope alone.  20-shot string, fire/breathe/reset, one after the other.  I was shooting an AR-15 before this, and this one wore me out.  Shoulda shot it first...  ;D

post-71-136297262905_thumb.jpg

post-71-136297262908_thumb.jpg

I'm so fired up over this rifle, man!  It's really a joy to shoot, but I'll save that final determination until tomorrow morning when I check out the shoulder.

Ran the math on the targets, and came up with this:

post-71-136297262916_thumb.jpg

post-71-136297263182_thumb.jpg

Get a Tubbs flatwire buffer spring; you wont be sorry.

http://www.davidtubb.com/tcom_images/ar15_images/cs_flatwire.html

I have been tryin to find it online so I can see how much it will be so I can decide if I want to buy one.  I found the regular round cs buffer springs but all I can find about the flatwire is tech info, not any prices or buying options.... any help to that end?

I'll pick one of those springs up and try it out.  When I was building this gun, I just wanted it done, at that point, and wanted to shoot it.  Had I found one of these springs someplace where I was ordering other parts, I would have picked it up.  I'll get one and try it now that the gun is finished (and shot).  I'll have something to compare it to now, and I know this thing kicks like a mule...  :D