• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LR308 Self Build

This is it - the final.  It's test fired, scope is sighted, and she's done.  I put the YHM Phantom on there, and it added about 2.5" to the length of the 18.5" barrel.  I just wish it was as economically cheap to shoot as the 5.56 guns, which are getting better.  ;)

I'll be trying out some 168gr HPBT Match reloads from a place called Mac's Reloads ($18 per 20).  I'll give an update on those when I get back out to the range.

post-71-136297263215_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Me too, man.  I'm fired up to hunt this thing.  I think I am going to go ahead and get that TRS-1 for it, and this scope here will go back on the bolt gun.  I'm pretty sure I'm taking that one, too. 

• 2 months later...

Made a couple changes to the rifle:  JARD 2lb trigger set (Thank you, bandit!  <thumbsup>), and I dropped the A2 buttstock for an A1 buttstock and Sierra Precision adjustable buttplate (got both from FA).  The A2 was gettin' it done for LOP for me, but I had a weird position for cheekweld with the scope height.  The SPR-1 buttplate on the shorter stock is the ticket for me.  I dropped the buttplate to get the top of the stock up and still keep it in my shoulder - works like a champ!  Now I just need to get out and blast it again.  <dontknow>

308CurrentMods.jpg

308CurrentMods2.jpg

308CurrentMods6.jpg

308CurrentMods7.jpg

308CurrentMods4.jpg

I ordered the weight system about 3 months ago, but sadly I can't tell you whether or not it works effectively or not.  I just finally got the complete set because the first one I got didn't have all the parts in it.  I haven't even had a chance to put it on or anything.  If you get yours installed, I wouldn't mind hearing how much of a difference it makes on your rifle.

I'll definitely be in here talking about it, man.  No doubt, either way.  <thumbsup>  I sure wish I would have measured that gas port on the barrel before I put this thing together, though.  Just to know.  I can't make it smaller, but I don't know how large it is, either.  The weight I currently have against felt recoil is the Fulton (DPMS) chrome BCG, a Fulton rifle buffer and Fulton rifle buffer spring.  This damn thing kicks like a mule - a very pissed off mule, too. The only thing I have working against the gas system (and, not really working against it) it the PRI lo-pro gas block, non-adjustable.  The port in the block is much more oversized compared to the port in the barrel - so it gives full gas pressure.

Methodology tells me I can get a Slash heavy buffer for $100, or I can get a Tubb CWS for about $50.  I'll do the CWS, and I'm sure there's going to be a weight combination (among the 3 possibilites) that helps.  I can't see how it won't help in some way.  I'm going heavy right off the bat, too, to see if the rifle cycles - carrier assembly and tungsten weight.  If it doesn't cycle, in goes the SS weight, then down to the carrier assembly itself.  We'll see...

Try a good muzzle brake or go to a gas block with a regulator( although I have not seen one that has any kind of sophistication to it ,yet .A set screw in it ,just doesn't seem all that sophisticated ).

I have a PRI brake on my 20 " bbl. & it made a substantial difference. The rifle is on the heavy side though .

• 2 weeks later...

no word on that cws yet??? cmon 98, dont start slackin now.... :P

HAHA!  I should have it in a few more weeks, and I'll be shooting it by the end of the month, or beginning of August.  <thumbsup>