• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Query on gas system(s)

bubbas4570

Fairly easy, what is the actual real world difference between the different lengths of gas systems on an everyday usage AR15, when having a 16" barrel.

I want to know the members' experiences with theirs, considering functionality, longevity, and things like that.

What I don't want is just repeated interweb rehashes, no member pissoffs intended.

Thanks, guys. This information is going to be used in a  custom build I am having put together for myself.

For the 5.56 rifles with 16" bbl's. , I have found the Mid length Gas system with a H2 Buffer in a Carbine stocked rifle the most efficient shooting system . Much less pronounced recoil then a Carbine Gas system . As far as what service life of reciprocating components , the more violent the recoil , there is a chance of increased wear.  

I have a mid-length gas on both my 14.7" and 18" rifles. The 14.7" is a light weight setup, adjustable gas block, lightweight carrier, and no weights in the carbine buffer. I run an H2 buffer in the 18". I have a Sig PM400 pistol, pistol length gas system and run an H3 buffer, it was pretty overgassed so the H3 smoothed it out a bunch. I have not had any reliability issues with any of them once I got them running right at the start. None are showing any wear that I wouldn't expect. I'm sold on the mid-length gas system but then I don't really have any experience with a carbine gas system.

5 hours ago, bubbas4570 said:

Does having a rifle/fixed buttstock buffer tube on the gun make difference? I forgot to mention that.

Just trying to make the best questions,  information available, to work for me on this.

Should work fine with Carbine , Mid & Rifle length Gas systems , the Gas signal with any of these systems is regulated with the Gas port size in the Barrel . All of these gas systems can be turned with various methods , be it a heavy Buffer , spring , lighter components or Gas port size , if need be .