• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel Query, Chambering Pondering....

bubbas4570

To keep within my penchant for asking a bunch of questions. ......

Do I need to worry about the difference between the two chamberings of 5.56 and 223 Wylde on a 16" dissipator style build that will be used for an "everything,  all day long" gun?

Once more, just the experience of the members here, as I haave read info out on various sites. From those sites, one would get the impression that the Wylde chambering has made other 223 chamberings obsolete. This is why I want to get real world feedback.

Now to meld my threads on gas length systems and 5.56/223 Wylde chambers, given the choice between a carbine length gas/223 Wylde barrel and a mid length/5.56 gas system barrel....which would be the better choice, assuming all other barrel factors are same?

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

My Wylde chambered rifle is comparatively very accurate with everything I've run in it. All my research showed it to be the best all around choice.

JT, that is the same I found in my research also, but needed to hear from some real persons.

I've got a 16" dissy (spikes build) .556 barrel I shoot both .223/.556 out of it and it shoots very good. Only issue I had with it was she wanted to be soaking wet and would jam up after 90-120 rounds. I put one of those ares arms slick bcg in it and haven't had an issue with it since. 

I don't know much about 223 wylde, just thought maybe that input would help

I have shot 223/5.56 ammo through Mini14s for years, and never noticed any difference, but with the Wylde discussion I have found on sites...maybe thought something changed.

Anyways this isn't going to be designed to punch single hole groups, but for reliability. I guess that I am, once again, over thinking my choices? Especially since there are going to be iron sights used on it, no optics for the most part.

2 hours ago, bubbas4570 said:

I have shot 223/5.56 ammo through Mini14s for years, and never noticed any difference, but with the Wylde discussion I have found on sites...maybe thought something changed.

Anyways this isn't going to be designed to punch single hole groups, but for reliability. I guess that I am, once again, over thinking my choices? Especially since there are going to be iron sights used on it, no optics for the most part.

I'm running a Nikon coyote on mine with the bdc redical thing is spot on figure if I can take out a small mamal with it, that's good enough for me

1 hour ago, shepp said:

I'm running a Nikon coyote on mine with the bdc redical thing is spot on figure if I can take out a small mamal with it, that's good enough for me

And with the irons on my 308, I can keep the hits well within the center of my palm area if I do my part.

That is why I am not worried about putting optics on it. Mostly for the very same reason you stated, Shepp.