• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

barrel extension issue...

kenichols29

I just recently built my first 308 ar earlier this year and after putting 500 rounds down the barrel I had, an issue with the gas block sliding forward slightly. I fixed that issue and decided to take the muzzle brake off and replace it with a flash hider and whe i went to remove it the barrel rotated with it. I then proceeded to remove the handguard and found that my barrel was threading out of my barrel extension. I have never encountered this before and I always thought the extension was pinned and welded to the barrel. I bout the barrel about a year ago from aims surplus and it is a LOSOK barrel. What should I do about this?

2016-06-13 14.11.40.jpg

Always used Barrel Blocks in a Vice to remove & install any Muzzle Device . Most if not all Barrel Extensions are Left hand threads , some are not . The Barrels Extension should be Torqued to the Barrel @ 150-200 ft.lb's. You will need a special Wrench for installing one & if your lucky ( doubtful ) the Extension Pin & Gas Port on the Barrel will line up correctly .

Contact who you purchased the barrel from for repair or replacement . If they won't help you ,  contact ADCO http://www.adcofirearms.com

• 2 weeks later...

The muzzle brake may have been installed with Rocksett. Always check with the manufacturer to see if some type of thread locker was used to install the muzzle device on your barrel before trying to remove it. In the case of Rocksett, just soak it in water overnight and the Rocksett will release, otherwise if you keep cranking on the muzzle device you can end up with the problem you now have.

The Barrel Extension should not have come off that easy , glad they took care of you . You should still use Barrel Vice Blocks to remove or install any Muzzle Device , I use leather between the Blocks & the Barrel to keep from marring the Barrel or its finish , My Blocks are made of Aluminum .