• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Norinco 1911

survivalshop

I long ago installed a Match Hammer & sear combo  ( I think Ed BROWN,s ) in this 1911 clone & it was good enough to shoot ,but I knew I had to do some work to smooth it out , just never got around to it till I took it to the range the other day & had to clean it , so I took it down to the Bare frame. I used stones to hand polish sear mating surfaces & anything else the mated or showed signs of friction . This 1911 clone has a Match Trigger, S/S Combat Grip Safety I installed already , the only thing I have left that I want to do is a Flat MainSpring Housing.

I noticed at the Range shooting it , that it would sometimes have a really stiff Sear trip once in a while , so Trigger pull was from 5 - 6+ #'s before I smoothed things out & now has a very consistent 4 3/4# , very nice clean drop . 

Its been so long , I had to look at the schematic to make sure I was installing the Sear & Disconnector correctly :laffs:, Heminut & others can flame me if you want , but its been a long time .

LH2538.JPG

Edited by survivalshop

Back in the day, Colt was floundering, Detonics had gone out of business, and Springfield offered only a 1911A1 and 1911A1SS.  If you wanted a decent custom 1911 you were going to Wilson, Ed Brown, etc., and paying for it.  And paying for it some more.

Then Norinco imported this all forged 1911.  Most dismissed it as crap but some realized it was lightyears ahead of the worthless poop Colt was turning out at the time.  Some very nice custom Norincos out there.

In other words SS, COOL!!

I've had this 1911 since the 80's , not sure what really the year was , because I was so into this stuff at the time & so many firearms coming & going , its hard to relate . Paid $ 200 for it back then , guy didn't like the recoil. Has a Chrome match Barrel from the factory & the Pistol reminds of the old Remington Rand I used to carrie , not legally back then , but didn't care , I knew a lot of LE & they said the nature of my Business would give me a pass if I got into trouble . ( Class 1 & 3 FFL )

The machining in side is kinda rough , but OK in the right places . As you said , a lot of Custom guns & some race guns back then used this as a base . I'll not part with it , that's for sure .

4 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Its been so long , I had to look at the schematic to make sure I was installing the Sear & Disconnector correctly :laffs:, Heminut & others can flame me if you want , but its been a long time .

Don't feel bad SS. It's been so long since I took my 1911's apart......hell.....I'd probably have to watch a tutorial or something. :lmao:

And yes.........Hemi is cringing somewhere.

The Norinco's were pretty darn good pistols IMHO! It was an excellent gun for the price but our politicians, in their infinite wisdom, fukked that deal up and made it illegal to import them!

I bought one and worked it over with some better internals and sights and a beavertail grip safety and checkered the front strap 30 LPI. In the spirit of building a budget 1911 I bead blasted the parts, polished the flats on the slide and a friend took it to work (Tilden Tool) and reblued it when they were bluing a batch of drill bits! I ended up giving that gun to my older son and wish I had it back! That free drill bit blue job has held up great over the years too!

2 hours ago, 392heminut said:

..........giving (selling, trading) that gun to my older son (some guy, a friend, etc.), and wish I had it back! 

And so I'm just thinking how often I've said some variation of this, and how many times I've heard other guys say that.....wish I had it back.  Boy, do I know the feeling!   And on and on it goes.........my-oh-my!

Its a shooter too , I was shooting my hand cast 200gr SWC's & was drilling the center of the target with ease . 4.9 gr. of Bullseye . I'm i the process of loading a bunch of my 228 gr. RN to try the next time out . Same charge wt. , should be interesting .

That Barrel might be Stainless, not chromed , hard to tell & its been so long I don't remember .