• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 build newbie what's next

Edga903

So I have decided I want to build my own ar and the first thing I decided to get first were my lower and upper receiver stripped from aero percision ar m5 308 now I wanna choose what kind of barrel I want but Idk if that's the next right step (I haven't bought anything yet I want to be sure I chose the best for my rifle, also I would want to use this gun for close to mid range ) thanks guys I'm looking forward to this build 

Edga903

18 hours ago, Edga903 said:

So I have decided I want to build my own ar and the first thing I decided to get first were my lower and upper receiver stripped from aero percision ar m5 308 now I wanna choose what kind of barrel I want but Idk if that's the next right step (I haven't bought anything yet I want to be sure I chose the best for my rifle, also I would want to use this gun for close to mid range ) thanks guys I'm looking forward to this build 

Edga903

Welcome to the forum feel free to post in the intro section

• 1 year later...

In the process of building my first .308 based AR as well. Have built many 5.56's but this is the first in .308. My one suggestion would be to try and get an overall idea of what you want in both performance and looks before you order any more parts. I started out with the same upper/lower as you, all I have left is the BCG, charging handle, and optics left to buy. I made the mistake of looking at the M110 and now I have over $2k in it and still have more to go. 

I've used Faxon barrels in a few AR-15's and they are gtg and hard to beat for the $. The gunner profile is almost a perfect profile. A friend of mine is building one too and that's probably the route he is going to take.