• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Cleaning gas block glue from DPMS barrel

Hey folks,

I'm working on changing some stuff out on a DPMS LR-308 with a 24" SS bull barrel. The gas block was apparently glued in place at the factory, but the dried glue was brittle enough to break loose with a little effort on the set screws.

My issue is with the glue residue left on the barrel. I want to get this barrel Cerakoted, so it needs to be perfectly clean before I give it to the finishers. I've tried a number of solvents, including mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, kerosene, lighter fluid and Goof Off. Before I go to the hardware store and buy quart containers of paint thinner, MEK and acetone, I'd like to tap the wisdom and experience of the group to see if any of you have successfully tackled this particular issue.

Personally, my money would be on acetone, but I'd like to hear what y'all have to say.

Thanks, everyone.

If its Rocksett, used on High Temp. applications .

What is the proper way to remove a muzzle device that has been installed with Rocksett, and what thread locking strength is it similar to, ie blue Loctite?

pinkvapor

Answer This Question
Answer
1/15/2014

The manufacturer recommends soaking in water for an extended period (several hours) and it will deteriorate. A quicker process would be to totally immerse in hot water for approximately 30 minutes and then break free with a wrench. Don't have a direct comparison to Loctite, but would consider stronger that Blue and approaching the Red. This product is desirable when heat-resistance is highly desired such as muzzle devices that will operate in conjunction with suppressors.

Brownells from Montezuma, IA

Edited by survivalshop

Follow-up: I'll be dadgummed if water didn't do the trick! Wrapped a hot water-soaked washcloth around the area of residue for a few hours, rubbed it good, and no more glue! I dried the barrel off and wiped it down with an oily rag, and everything looks perfect. Y'all are awesome. Thanks!