• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

lower to upper fit

ironhorse18

Has anyone done glass bedding for the upper to the lower?  Just finished my lower.  The fit to the upper isn't good!  Any suggestions appreciated.  I 'm concerned about dust, dirt, or other debris fowling my system.  I've done several bolt guns, but never an AR 10.  I want this rifle to be right!  HELP !.

Not planning on treating it rough, but I will be hunting and doing some bench shooting.  My greatest concern is accuracy, but when hunting we can have rain and of course snow.   I always field strip and clean after a day of huntin' the woods............

Thanks for the response jtallen83.  Thank you for serving our Nation!

from an   Old Vet

Iron so the fitment when buttoned up has got the wobbles a lil and you can see thru the line where upper meets lower?   What brand...same for both upper and lower? peeps say the wobble wont affect the shooting and I say Bull crap...so open the rifle and look down at the back part of the lower in the area behind the pin....the back shelf.....go get you a piece of foam like the kind that is in gun cases pistol cases flashlight cases...stiff plastic kinda foam....cut you a chunk as wide as the side of the back behind the pin...and taller so that when you mate the two pieces up you have to use pretty good pressure to get it closed and the pin back into the holes....the foam will conform...no more wiggles or slop....it will be now tighter than Dick"s hat band      :cool:       Wash

Thanks for the reply washguy.   Brand is Daytona Tactical.  In addition I had to do a good deal of fitting, dremel, sanding, filing, just to get the back takedown pin to mate up through the holes.  The heal of the upper { part next to the buffer tube } was striking the lower at that point.  I never had that happen before.  After I finally got the pin to go through both holes, then the upper and lower didn't wobble, by hand anyhow.....  But   when 'ya light one off, there's a bunch of pressure going on at that point in time, therefore we want to minimize any movement in the system other than ejection, and putting another round in battery.   Then of course keeping debris out of that area as well.   And you know what else????  I just don't like that gap.  I don't have it here right now to actually measure the gap, but I'd guess about .001" to .015"   Some of my other AR platforms have a small gap, but nothing like the one I'm working on now.

ironhorse18

I did a CMMG Billet Lower to a SI Defense Gen II Billet Upper , not exactly something I would recommend for a beginner , but thats up to you . There needs to be a slight gap between the Upper & lower , because too tight.can cause issues also , I used shim stock to get the proper fitment . I shimmed the front Pivot area first evenly for proper alignment & they are removed after Steelstick is set up, finish needs to be removed if you want the Steelstick to stay  ( use plenty of Release agent if you want the Receivers to come apart )

The results were very good  this rifle is an 18" & shoots real well , most don't ned this kind of treatment , its why I like to use same brand uppers & lowers as a set.

DSCN1917.JPG

Steelstick & do not forget a Release agent on the parts you want to come apart , modeling clay was tested for the proper amount of Steel stick

DSCN1913.JPG

DSCN2312.JPG

Used these shims after finding out how much play was in the front , a Shim on each side of the Upper Receivers Pivot Lug, held in place by Loctite & fine tun ing the hole in the Shim for Pin fitment .

DSCN2310.JPG

DSCN2309.JPG

DSCN2307.JPG

Edited by survivalshop