• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First Piston build range report

survivalshop

Being my first AR 15 Piston build & with the new Superlative Arms Piston system, I really wasn't sure how this new build would shoot . I didn't set up the Piston systems gas adj. as per their instructions , mostly because I wasn't looking for the least recoil , especially with a complete new rifle . The Superlative Arms gas system is a little different then most or maybe all others out there , their gas adjustment relieves unwanted or needed gas signal out of a port in the Gas Block, instead of just cutting the Gas signal off & having the excess exhausted out the barrel , like most adj. Gas Blocks . 

I had the gas shut off all the way & opened it up about 3/4 of a turn , might have been more ,I will have to count later . it has a detent with felt clicks when adj. & is adj. with a long alien wrench , which is perfect with a Mid Gas System & a 12" Hand Guard , was not an issue with adj it .

I loaded one round in the mag & first shot locked the BCG Back & felt good , so I proceeded to sight the 2x7x25 Burris E1 scope in @ 20 yards , five shots & It was good enough to take to the rifle range @ 100 yards . Sighted it @ 100 yards & proceeded to bam away & I mean Bam Bam away , I give no slack to a new build , it better go through three or four full mags , as fast as I can shoot , for it to pass my muster & the rifle had no issues , almost no recoil . The Hand Guard did get a little hot around the area of the Gas Block , but I don't use that part of the HG when on a Rest , so no issue , plus it was 90 degree's out . I have a target from my test & as fast as I was shooting & with the least expensive Barrel I have ever put on an AR , I think its great !

Center target area is with my Hand Loads , WC 846 , 55 gr. FMJ , Bottom right was with a special solid 55 gr. Coper Bullet , same load spec's . I did a lot of mag dumps at targets of opportunity next to my Target Stand ( Baseball , tin Cans , people leave a lot of crap at the berm )

DSCN2746.JPG

This is my first trip to the range since they installed the roofs over the shooting lines , they did the Cement Pads last month , what a difference it makes , not sweating out in the sun.

DSCN2740.JPGDSCN2741.JPG

DSCN2744.JPGDSCN2745.JPG

All in all , I like it , the Geissele Buffer & the wrapped Buffer spring worked flawlessly , no noise , for those who were wondering , because thats how it marketed . I also shot my wife Carbine  POF Receivers with a DI system & really couldn't tell the difference . The BCG on the Piston Rifle , was the cleanest after several hundred rounds , that I have ever seen , but thats what all the Piston heads do say .

DSCN2742.JPGDSCN2743.JPG

DSCN2749.JPGDSCN2751.JPG

I saw the extra weights also ( Try to find them in stock ), but don't think you need them normally . I think that fancy Buffer Spring makes a difference , I normally use a H2 Buffer with a Mid Gas system .

Once this barrel breaks in I will adj. the gas system to their spec's , or close to it , their instructions read the spent brass should be between 3:30 -4:00 , mine were more at the 3:00 & a nice pile also .  I will do grouping  with different Bullet weights & configurations . I have some Barne's Bullets loaded up & a host of different powder charges & brands , ready to go for testing . I will also get some Chrono. results for the hell of it .

This is my first adj. gas system & Piston system in a AR & I really don't see much of a difference in shooting , won't know till I do some accuracy testing . I wish I had another Scope like this to install on the DI Carbine to do a side by side with . The wife's has a Wilson Combat , Light S/S 16" Mid gas system & it was a $ 250 Barrel , would like to see how the $ 89 Brownells  Barrel stacks up against it .