• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

45 degree red dot

I've got a 3 gun match in a couple of weeks and I've decided to use my MA TEN carbine. This match is apparently run very casually so they are not differentiating between major and minor, as far as I know everyone will just be divided between production, tactical and open. My shotgun automatically puts me in open so I'm allowed 2 optics. I saw a 45 degree mount for the doctor/sts sights but I have something else so I made this mount for my setup. It's not very pretty but, I'm pretty sure it's going to make it faster for me when transitioning between close rand and long targets, vs adjusting the magnification on my Acupoint. I'm hoping this will help me to  and hold my own with the AR-15 race gun guys.

post-164-136297266121_thumb.jpg

post-164-136297266123_thumb.jpg

post-164-136297266125_thumb.jpg

post-164-136297266127_thumb.jpg

I originally tried it mounted on one of those add on 45 degree picatinny rails. Two things I noticed right away, first it wasn't in the right place, so I would have to reset my cheek weld, and the other was that it looked like it was very vulnerable to damage from barricades and such way out front there. I didn't bother to try one of those DD 45 rails for that reason, it would still be very easy to hit it on something up front there, even if it was In a better place as far as viewing . I have an Eotec XPS with a piggyback magnifier on an AR 15 , and that's a pretty good  setup, but You still have to take your left hand off the handguard to flip it in or out of place, The same thing goes for changing the magnification on the Accupoint, some of my friends have those cat tails to speed that up, but you still have to move your weak hand off the guard to change it. The beauty of this setup is that all you do is roll the gun when moving from close targets to long shots.  Of course everything always works perfect on paper. I guess I'll know if it works for me once I try it in the match.  Another thing  I find is that a small red dot without much to see around the lens seems to disappear for me while shooting and I just see the dot on the target, while a tube type scope doesn't do that as much.  That may just be something I would need to train with to get used to. No matter what, it's always fun to test out all these different designs.