• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What is this? What is it chambered in?

Rshackleford

Not confused after factory response. I have shot both .308 & 7.62x51 ammo. Just wanted clarification after so much on the internet.

No problem with either rounds with my weapon. I shot .308 Prvi Partizan 145gr brass case with good results.

Have used Federal 7.62x51 149gr. also with good results

I'm pretty sure that we consistently state here, that you can use either ammo.  And specifically stated that it's the older surplus NATO chambered rifles that shouldn't be using .308 Win loads.

So, we're consistent in what we say.  You just read some garbage somewhere else, I'm guessing...

This is from a Springfield commercial built .308/NATO 7.62 x 51 M1A  manual.

The red text is my editing.

Ammunition
3. The M1A is designed and built to specifications to shoot standard factory .308 made to SAAMI specifications or 7.62x51 NATO ammunition. The specifications for standard
military ammunition include harder primers to withstand the slight indentation from the firing pin when the bolt chambers a cartridge. This slight indentation is normal.
The use of civilian ammunition with more sensitive primers or handloads with commercial primers and/or improperly seated primers increase the risk of primer
detonation when the bolt slams forward. This unexpected “slam fire” can occur even if the trigger is not being pulled and if the safety is on. Use of military
specification ammunition will help avoid this. Every shooter should use extreme caution when loading this or any other firearm. See page 17 for instructions on
proper loading to help avoid a “slam fire”. Also see enclosed article on “Slam Fire” written by Wayne Faatz.

WARNING
WARNING

Edited by mrmackc

• 1 year later...