• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What is this? What is it chambered in?

Rshackleford

2 hours ago, Rshackleford said:

Wondering if they are chambered in 308 or NATO. 

That's not even gonna matter, on a modern firearm. Not in the least.

Research shows that the GII bolt firing pin hole is a little large, and you commonly get cratered primers.  Search on that set of keywords, and you'll find out more about it.

18 minutes ago, Rshackleford said:

Mine has the same. Does that mean these are not to be used with 308?

DPMS say's you can shoot .308 and 7.62X51mm in that rifle.

This is right from their website,

Specifications

CALIBER: 308 / 7.62 Nato

LENGTH: 43”

WEIGHT: 10lbs

BARREL: 24" 416 Stainless Bull

UPPER RECEIVER: Forged 7075 T6 lvl 3 Anodized, Teflon coated, A3 type

LOWER RECEIVER: Forged 7075 T6 lvl Anodized, Teflon coated

TWIST: 1x10

STOCK: A2

FIRE CONTROL: Std AR

PISTOL GRIP: A2

FRONT / REAR SIGHT: NA

FLASH HIDER: None - Target Crown

HANDGUARD: DPMS Aluminum Free Float

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That's not even gonna matter, on a modern firearm. Not in the least.

Research shows that the GII bolt firing pin hole is a little large, and you commonly get cratered primers.  Search on that set of keywords, and you'll find out more about it.

1 hour ago, Rshackleford said:

Mine has the same. Does that mean these are not to be used with 308?

Did you read my response,and search the info?...

It makes sense for the primer crater but It wasn't clear to me how this would cause the raised marks on the face of the rim or the missing primer  

Additionally it wasn't clear to me that a NATO chamber could safely fire a 308. I can take your word for it but I have read plenty of others that feel equally as strong to the contrary. 

Finally my level of knowledge on this is very basic so I felt like I would become lost in a Google search. 

9 minutes ago, Rshackleford said:

Additionally it wasn't clear to me that a NATO chamber could safely fire a 308. I can take your word for it but I have read plenty of others that feel equally as strong to the contrary.

Point 'em out.  Please provide direct internet-clickable links to those discussions, as well.

OLD Mil-surp 7.62 NATO chambered WAR-SURPLUS RIFLES should damn sure NOT be firing any modern .308 WIN ammunition.  Period.

Please provide information that states otherwise, on modern chambers.

I'm not calling you out, or trying to start shiit - don't think that.  I'm trying to STOP shiit from spreading...  If you have links that state otherwise, please provide them, because they ain't accurate.

Edited by 98Z5V

When I was trying to figure out if I could go 308 I was probably speed reading and missing the parts about older surplus guns.  I'm glad you point that out.  Thank you  .

These are probably some of the sights that I was remembering. 

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=140166

Firing .308 Winchester ammunition in a firearm specifically chambered for the 7.62mm NATO risks damage to the firearm and injury to the shooter.

Not quite as drastic but cautions against it unless you call the manufacturer

There may be others.  These were first page results for "difference beteeen 308 and 7.62"

You can shoot 7.62 or 308 in your barrel , don't let all the hype get to you , it basically comes down to Pressure & that documented data is confusing to most . The two Cartridges are exactly the same , except for one thing , the 308 CAN be loaded with powders that can have a higher pressure rating according to SAMMI Spec's , that doesn't mean that are , just that they have been tested to those higher pressures . The same 7.62x51 can be loaded to the same pressure spec's , the MIlSpec Ammo is just not made to those spec's because of all the OLD converted to 7.62x51 rifles, some of these , still in use by NATO countries , have some old Barrels , so NATO had to make the Ammo to lower spec's to keep the pressure low for the old metallurgy of said converted rifles & some MachineGuns , both belt fed & Mag fed types.

The difference is in the Chambers of the Barrels , the 7.62x51 Chamber is set to allow a quicker Chamber pressure drop & not because it will not take it ( as far as modern Firearms are concerned ) , but because , Combat weapons tend to get dirty in Combat & see a lot more ammo through them before a cleaning session , if at all , so there is clearance in the Chamber to keep pressures safe with a highly dirty Chamber . 

Do you really think that 308 ammo is loaded to the max pressure rated for the 308 SAMMI Spec's ?

Absolutely no way they will load ammo to their Proof tested loadings , so the Max pressure ratings really mean nothing , because they are not loading your Wallyworld ammo any where near that proof pressure . Besides , high pressure , high velocity ammo , doesn't mean good shooting ammo , it will most likely print very badly , you will not get MOA from it .

The rifle you have is notorious for cratered primers ( if its a GII ), as has been said , you will probably see different results with different ammo & different grouping results . The , what looks like a 24" bbl. will give you the highest pressure signs . Popping primers is not a good thing , but has been documented here on these rifles before .
 Try a different brand of ammo , match or otherwise .

You can tell if its a GII by the Steel Feed Ramp insert in the Lower receiver & duel Ejectors in the Bolt , also . 

Phase 5 makes a setup for .308ARs, I'm just not sure if their bolt catch will be compatible with the GII. Only way to find out is to take your bolt catch out of the rifle, and side-by-side compare it to the Phase 5's dimensions.

DISREGARD - they state that it will not work with the GII, specifically.

http://phase5wsi.com/extended-bolt-release-v2-.308.html

• 2 years later...

I emailed DPMS concerning the .308/7.62x51 LR-G2 and received this response:

Good afternoon,

You can use both 308 and 7.62x51 ammo. We only recommend using American factory loaded new brass with the G2 rifles.

Sent: February 27 2019 03:47:46 PM
To:info@dpmsinc.com
Subject: DMPS Model LR-G2

Hello,
I purchased a used DPMS Model LR-G2.
All I am reading on the internet leaves one a little confused.
This weapon is stamped on the barrel 7.62x51 1-10 G2.
On the receiver is stamped Model LR-G2 Caliber Multi