• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Range fail

FreQRiDeR

7 minutes ago, shepp said:

Atleast it wasn't your loads?!

Who knows? These were some '168gr SMK's ' I bought at the gun show unmarked in baggies. I got home and measured compared to the Sierra MK's and they were 169.5ish grains and quite longer than the Sierras. Meplats looked pretty crappy too, in comparison. I wanted to see if they shot as well as actual SMK's. Oh well, bk to the drawing board!

If it makes you feel better, we were sighting in for deer season one year buddies dad got a new Nikon scope we talked him into after his from 1985 finally fell apart. So we're shooting and shooting and he's like this things fucking junk it's not adjusting I keep bringing it right and I'm shooting left wtf after a good 45 min we realized that being a half coffee cup into the VO (Canadian whisky) isn't a good time to mount your scope. He had it mounted 90* wrong. Left right was up and down and vise versa

Well, it looks like the scope mount wasn't the only thing that loosened up. The FF handguard slid forward about a mm and the charge handle (Raptor) flew open a few times from recoil. (Never happened before.) Judging from the flattened primers, I'm pretty sure my loads were a bit too hot. Rattled her up pretty good! Lol. My pet loads, 180gr SGK over 39.5 grains Ar-Comp, proved accurate with nominal recoil. I guess I'll back things off a bit. I was doing load testing with these generic match kings, starting at 41.5, 41.7 and 41.85  gr. Ar-Comp. I had 2 rounds touching with the 41.5 loads and no appreciable primer flattening, so I'll stick with that. Maybe close the gas block half a turn. 

Edited by FreQRiDeR