• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Thanks guys!

jfeenin

I’d just like to say a quick but heartfelt “Thank You!” to everyone that has helped me out here.  I must admit I am a recent AR convert, but a convert I am indeed.  I bought my first AR, an LMT MRP platform, last summer (this one).  I equipped it with an ACOG TA11H and fell in love with something else I will have trouble affording more of but I digress. 

After I got the 5.56 I began pining over a 7.62 caliber AR almost immediately.  Funds weren’t there though.  That is until early in June I got a bonus and two local stores had .308 AR’s in stock in my price window that I was interested in.  One had a DPMS and the other had an Armalite.  I ended up choosing the Armalite (this one) for a couple reasons, not the least of which was that it had a chrome line barrel and a muzzle break and the DPMS was straight chrome moly and no muzzle attachment at all.  This is NY remember so many manufacturers have forgone even a permanently mounted break and just go with flat end barrels.  I am a big fan of the chrome lined barrels for this type of firearm though.  I may bet other uppers later that aren’t for target shooting purposes but the “working” barrels should be chrome lined IMO.

I have less than a hundred rounds through the AR-10 and I must admit I am already planning another AR build in my head.  I want to put another upper on the AR-10 eventually.  As I eluded too this one will be for strictly accuracy purposes.  Free floated handguard, longer barrel, and possibly in .243 caliber I am not sure yet.  Also I want to build an AR-15 platform from the bare lower up.  I think that would be fun and it would allow me to afford it easier when buying it a little at a time.  I am choosing the 5.56 caliber for that build though simply because the parts in that platform are far more interchangeable.  See I did learn something! ;-)

While I am new to AR’s I am not new to firearms.  I know some of the questions I ask here may make it seem that way but if I am not absolutely sure I’m going to ask people who I think may know.  When it comes to .308 AR’s you’re those people.  I’ve actually owned dozens of firearms.  Yeah I know many have more but even more have less.  Currently I have less myself but I am rebuilding my collection.  I’ve done spring jobs on revolvers, stock work, replaced triggers, and the like.  I am pretty familiar with breaking these things down competently.  Heck my father in law’s favorite .22 is a Ruger 10/22 where the only original parts are the receiver frame and the bolt.  The rest of it, the barrel, entire FCG, stock etc. I replaced for him.  Including doing final fitting and complete finishing of the stock.  For several years I even ran on of these forums.  Just recently I started one back up again under another name. 

Although I am an AR convert, I must admit however that for my favorite rifle my heart still belongs to my CMP Collector Grade M1 Garand.  I don’t shoot it much so as not to wear it out but this rifle is one I waited 20 years to get my hands on and I am more attached to it than any of my other firearms.  It’s a piece of history.  I took her out a couple weekends back and she was as sweet as ever.  Up until this past year I had all but given up shooting for many years for several private reasons.  However this year alone I’ve already sent more lead down-range than in the past 8 combined and I don’t know how I did without it.  It’s an amazing hobby.

Well so much for “quick” I guess but it’s definitely heartfelt and once again “Thanks!” to everyone here.

Yes, I have considered ordering one.  However the one on it is correct for that particular rifle, and it's original not a reproduction.  It was a 1950's manufacture one.  1955 to be exact.  Also the M5 Bayonet is correct for this rifle, although I do have a cut and an uncut version of the M1 Bayonet as well. 

It is great you found this sight helpful.

My M1 has a Birch stock & was made in Dec.,1943 .I think I have the sight ,you can look that up , some where.

I still shoot her once in a while , she gets lonely in the safe ,just telling war stories to my AR's , but sits next my 1903A3 , I'll bet they have a lot to talk about . <thumbsup>

I bet.  We also have a 1942 SA Garand but it's not in as nice condition.  That one was made in 42 and rebarrelled in 46 so ya know that one has seen action.  I am still kicking myself for not getting an 03A3 when I was at the CMP picking up the Garand.