• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

6.5 creedmoor issue...I cant the get the gas on my new 22+2 rainier arms barrel dialed in.

Navistar82

I shot my setup with a new 22+2 rainier arms barrel today. It has a superlative arms adjustable gas block, h3 buffer and a jp enterprise polished carbine spring.  No matter how i adjust the block it wont eject or feed consistently.  

One shot it might eject 8 feet to the right, next shot might get stuck in the receiver and almost pinch the neck of the brass closed, completely ruining it, that happened 4 times out of 60rds fired and two times it ejected a shell and tried to feed another one, the cartridge it tried to feed bent in the middle, ruining it, that happened twice in the same 60 shells, the shot after that the shell might fall out on the table, the one after that might eject enough to hit the ground.

I adjusted the block back and forth hoping to get somewhere, but no luck. One time i though i had it but then it went all buggy again.  This was all different ammo, one box of federal non typical, box of federal fusion (shot great) and a box of hornady precision hunter.

With a 22+2 barrel is an adjustable gas block needed, should i try a regular gas block and let it roll or try another brand of block, mine might be defective?

Thanks in advance, I'm in a bind as our deer season is approaching next month and right now it wont consistently shoot a mag full of ammo, its essentially an expensive single shot rifle.

Ya, I'm not happy camper. Bout ready to get rid of it and go back to a bolt gun. 

Here is my build...

Aero precision upper with 15" keymod handguard, aero fde lower.

Armalite extended buffer tube, H3 buffer with JP Enterprise polished carbine 308 buffer spring, i also have a 308 rifle length spring and it didn't change a thing.

22"+2 Rainier arms SS rifle length gas tube barrel.

Hypertouch 24C trigger, superlative arms adjustable gas block.

Daniel defense stock. 

I think someone here, had issues with that Gas Block on his 308, made for 5.56 & the like , couldn't move enough Gas or something to that effect.  

Have you tried one Round loaded in the Mag & see if the BCG locks back with the Bolt Stop , that will tell you in a crude way if your getting enough Gas signature to operate the Action or its a Bolt Component .

Is the Buffer Spring you have for a 308AR or is it for a AR 10 ?

Running her Wet ?

Edited by survivalshop

40 minutes ago, Navistar82 said:

Ya, I'm not happy camper. Bout ready to get rid of it and go back to a bolt gun. 

Here is my build...

Aero precision upper with 15" keymod handguard, aero fde lower.

Armalite extended buffer tube, H3 buffer with JP Enterprise polished carbine 308 buffer spring, i also have a 308 rifle length spring and it didn't change a thing.

22"+2 Rainier arms SS rifle length gas tube barrel.

Hypertouch 24C trigger, superlative arms adjustable gas block.

Daniel defense stock. 

For Armalite, it's the EA1095 spring.  Both AR-10 Rifle and AR-10 Carbine. Same spring, same part number. It works.

I've never seen rounds messed up like that, but your issue looks/sounds like a gas issue.  Never seen gas do that to a round, though. 

Get a simple gas block that fits your barrel.  No adjustable shiit.  Don't complicate shiit with complicated shiit.  Start there.  And measure your gas port diameter in the barrel.  That's where we start, man.

All your other parts are solid.  You made no wrong choices in those. Use the Armalite spring that you have.

Edited by 98Z5V

3 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

I think someone here, had issues with that Gas Block on his 308, made for 5.56 & the like , couldn't move enough Gas or something to that effect.  

Have you tried one Round loaded in the Mag & see if the BCG locks back with the Bolt Stop , that will tell you in a crude way if your getting enough Gas signature to operate the Action or its a Bolt Component .

Is the Buffer Spring you have for a 308AR or is it for a AR 10 ?

Running her Wet ?

I bought the block from a member on here. I tried the one loaded round and holding the bolt open and it would work. So I tried a loaded mag and you guys saw the results. It was ejecting all over the place. 

Spring is a AR10/LR308.

I'm running the bcg wet. 

5 minutes ago, Navistar82 said:

Spring is a AR10/LR308.

Those are two different springs, completely.  Especially if you're running the AR-10 Carbine Receiver Extension, and the H3 (AR-15 standard, or AR-10) real buffer. 

The LR308 carbine buffer spring will not work with those two items.  You must use the Armalite EA1095 spring with them.

Please report back on that.

Edited by 98Z5V

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

Those are two different springs, completely.  Especially if you're running the AR-10 Carbine Receiver Extension, and the H3 (AR-15 standard, or AR-10) real buffer. 

The LR308 carbine buffer spring will not work with those two items.  You must use the Armalite EA1095 spring with them.

Please report back on that.

Yes...I agree with that You may have some spring/buffer/extention mix up going on.  Like 98, I haven't seen brass mangled like since...ever.  Well unless I drive over it leaving the range.  

22 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Get a simple gas block that fits your barrel.  No adjustable shiit.  Don't complicate shiit with complicated shiit.  Start there.  And measure your gas port diameter in the barrel.

That should be at the top of the Main Forum Page . :laffs:

The Brass , is not Ejecting properly , could be a couple of reasons , one we are writing about is Gas Volume , the Brass not releasing from Bolt or the BCG is not traveling rearward far enough for the fired Case to Eject & the fired case is being forced onto the Feed Ramp , the Dent .

Buffer spring may have a lot to do with it .

The bent unfired Cartridges , show that the rearward of the BCG was short , but far enough for the BC ( not the Bolt ) tried to feed a live round & the non-ejected  fired Case was still on the Bolt Face  or was just lying in the Chamber area & the two tried to feed together . 

Disassemble the Bolt & inspect , clean .

Edited by survivalshop

Navi, also need to know what the internal depth of your carbine receiver extension is...  Internal depth.  On an AR-15 carbine receiver extension, it is 7.000" internal depth.  On the Armalite AR-10 Carbine Receiver Extension, the internal depth is 7 5/8".

Only reason I ask is:  shady vendors.  Lots of places will advertise a carbine receiver extension, say it's "ARmalite AR-10" compatible, and - those people don't even realize there's a damn difference.  When there really is.

Measure your stuff, and let us know.

1 minute ago, Navistar82 said:

I just typed what it said on midways website. On JP's website it just says 308 spring. Yes, its a standard H3 buffer.  I checked the gas port, very crudely as i dont have any number bits that small but a 3/32 (.0938) will fit with some slop and a 7/64 (.1094) is too big.

Gas port diameter in the barrel is good, according to that info. that is not your issue.  a 0.100"-ish gas port will fire almost anything through these ARs, big or small-frame.

6 minutes ago, Navistar82 said:

If it matters my carbine spring is 25 coils tip to tip and 10 15/16" long.

That's not the spring to use.  Sounds like AR-15 carbine, at best, and it's not to that spec, either. Way off, from even AR-15 standards.  Shiit spring, get rid of it.  No joke.

The Armalite EA1095 spring will be 34 coils, 13.75" relaxed length, and have a wire diameter of 0.072". 

Edited by 98Z5V

Is my H3 buffer weight ok, keep it or change? Ill look for the spring and basic non adjusting block tomorrow at some local gun shops. There is one local that should have all i need in stock.

Thanks for all your guy's help and input, appreciate it tremendously!  Ive posted this on another forum yesterday afternoon that is directed to my caliber specifically with no replies at all. You guys bounced all over it and are getting me lined out. :hail:

43 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

That should be at the top of the Main Forum Page . :laffs:

The Brass , is not Ejecting properly , could be a couple of reasons , one we are writing about is Gas Volume , the Brass not releasing from Bolt or the BCG is not traveling rearward far enough for the fired Case to Eject & the fired case is being forced onto the Feed Ramp , the Dent .

Buffer spring may have a lot to do with it .

The bent unfired Cartridges , show that the rearward of the BCG was short , but far enough for the BC ( not the Bolt ) tried to feed a live round & the non-ejected  fired Case was still on the Bolt Face  or was just lying in the Chamber area & the two tried to feed together . 

Disassemble the Bolt & inspect , clean .

The bolt was disassembled and cleaned right before this shooting session, the whole gun had been cleaned.