• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Using DPMS pattern barrel, bolt, and bolt carrier in a Noveske N6 upper

gunsmoke50

New member here,

I bought a SMOS Arms GFY-10 lower reciever last year in a rush (New laws here in CA). After determining that it was Armalite pattern and similar to the Noveske N6 pattern recievers, I started sourcing parts. So far, I have the SMOS arms lower, a blem Armalite pattern Noveske N6 upper, an Armalite pattern handguard  (bought from Noveske).

I'm trying to get a barrel, bolt, and bolt carrier group together, but parts are scarce. I'm considering buying the barrel, bolt, and bolt carrier from Noveske when they get in stock, but after talking on the phone with them, I discovered that Noveske has switched to DPMS pattern on their new parts.

The sales guy at Noveske is under the impression that the bolt, bolt carrier, and barrel will still work in the older Armalite pattern uppers and lowers, but i wanted to get opinions from those who have actually built 308 ARs from parts. Is it feasible?

I am not sure about the carrier but you can use a DPMS pattern bolt and barrel together in an AR-10 upper. Another thing to look for is the thread pattern on the barrel nut, two different patterns.

Have you looked into buying from ArmaLite? They have some pretty decent prices on barrels lately. They are mostly out of stock right now but if you put yourself on the notification lists they will send an email when in stock, usually not a real long wait.

https://www.armalite.com/product/105010010-ar10-bolt-carrier-group-assembly/

https://www.armalite.com/product-category/ar-10-parts-accessories/barrels-2/

3 hours ago, gunsmoke50 said:

The sales guy at Noveske is under the impression that the bolt, bolt carrier, and barrel will still work in the older Armalite pattern uppers and lowers, but i wanted to get opinions from those who have actually built 308 ARs from parts. Is it feasible?

This will work fine, if you decide to go that route.  I was never 100% positive of this, until recently.

I used Aero Precision 308 upper, lower and rail (DPMS pattern) with all Armalite AR-10 guts (recoil system, barrel, BCG).  The thing runs just like any other I've built up.