• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS G2 Recon - Bad Ammo?

1 hour ago, ImpliedConsent said:

Well, still haven't gone to the range. A bit colder and windier than I expected. Just looking at it, Head-to-Head, the dimensions (I don't have anything to measure that small) appear identical. The firing pin just fits that hole. Yeah, I agree, that first firing pin is toast.

When the Primers pierce , they will eat a Firing Pin or heat it up so it bends or deforms ( Hot Gas ). This is not new to them , just about everyone of the Posts here on the early GII have the same issue . DPMS finally took care of it , your not the first , but may have got an early one that was sitting at a distributor or Dealer . I sure hope they are changing the Bolts in the newer ones .

A lot of people talk down on DPMS , but they make more 308AR's then most of the other companies put together , so they will have more issues & the GII is still teething , so to speak . 

I was going to buy my first factory AR of any kind , with the GII , but purchased a M1A instead , I still want one , but that may be a while , I have one more payment on the Socom .:laffs:

• 2 years later...

This is just an update that I've neglected for awhile:  DPMS does come through. I've put about 1000 rounds through the GII now at Dragonmans. Not one misfire. Not one jam. I've fired .308 and 7.62 and now consider this rifle as my bug-out. What I have learned though is that THIS model has 4-way rail system. I hate it. It's too heavy and 2/4 rails are useless. Again, I'll have to go through an armorer to get it swapped out. 

• 3 months later...
On 8/10/2020 at 12:07 PM, ImpliedConsent said:

This is just an update that I've neglected for awhile:  DPMS does come through. I've put about 1000 rounds through the GII now at Dragonmans. Not one misfire. Not one jam. I've fired .308 and 7.62 and now consider this rifle as my bug-out. What I have learned though is that THIS model has 4-way rail system. I hate it. It's too heavy and 2/4 rails are useless. Again, I'll have to go through an armorer to get it swapped out. 

Samson mfg makes a G2 forearm that is pretty simple to replace. You will need to replace the barrel nut with the Oracle barrel nut. The hardest part is pulling the muzzle device, mine was a real pain. My G2 was extremely over gassed.

• 1 year later...

IC I wish I had read this entire thread before they went belly up as I can't find any support for them now. I had the same problem you had with mine. Just read the thread and need to take a look at my bolt/firing pin and compare to your pics. I'm ready to trash the gun, I was gonna replace the barrel as I thought it might be the chamber but holding off to see if I can find a replacement bolt first. Hope yours is still running fine.

On 10/25/2022 at 11:41 AM, DTNG_TX2TN said:

IC I wish I had read this entire thread before they went belly up as I can't find any support for them now. I had the same problem you had with mine. Just read the thread and need to take a look at my bolt/firing pin and compare to your pics. I'm ready to trash the gun, I was gonna replace the barrel as I thought it might be the chamber but holding off to see if I can find a replacement bolt first. Hope yours is still running fine.

Looking back on this now, lets just fix your gun.  I didn't notice this one you mentioned in 2020.

On 11/11/2020 at 2:46 PM, DTNG_TX2TN said:

My G2 was extremely over gassed.

Bet it wasn't that much over-gassed.  Just grossly under-recoiled.  From a weakass recoil system that should never been marketed.

Lets fix your gun.  Spill details on all that DPMS G2 goodness.  Recoil system specifics are what's requested.

Edited by 98Z5V