• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Upper receiver. Billet vs forged?

Lucky

Depends on the billet upper receiver.  Most are just designed to "be billet" and look pretty.  If you have a billet upper manufacturer that designed it to be functional, then it has advantages.  My best example of this is the Rainier Arms Billet Ultramatch upper receiver for 5.56 guns.  One of the main designs in that thing is how square the receiver face is, where the barrel interfaces, which is withing 3 ten-thou - that's worth it.  What they do in the machining process, and how tight they make that clearance, is the whole reason there are upper receiver lapping tools in the first place, for "common receivers." 

Hit the intro section, and tell us about yourself.

Edited by 98Z5V

Thanks for the info. Building another upper and was just wondering. Now im wondering how straight my first build was. Oh well it shoots lights out so maybe i got Lucky again. My buddy who is a good smith chambered the barrel and put it all together for me so he probably did the work. Like i said it shoots good. Ill check out Rainier Arms& see if they offer a 10 receiver too. Thanks again

Nothing wrong with a Milspec Forged  , but I too believe the Billet Receivers are stronger & more precise , because material can be left on the Receiver where it would benefit the strength of that area  . You have to realize that the Milspec dimensions have not changed , where Billet can & is made to machine material & strengthen area's in todays AR uses . If you need or want them .

I have two AR 15's with Billet Receiver sets , a POF set & a Black Rain Ordnance set , both fit perfectly together . Not sure Billet Upper Receiver will look as ascetically appealing with a Forged Lower Receiver or Vice versa , but they should work .