• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Need more power....

Robocop1051

Anyone here savvy on portable solar and battery packs? I’m looking to supplement my gear with a power source. Family trips and day hikes tend to include more and more tech these days. We’re planning a large Disneyland trip with. The kids and I’m thinking a little extra juice would go a looong way. 

I’m currently looking at the Goal Zero Nomad 14 Plus and the Mofie Powerstation XXL 20,000MAh. 

3DC374B9-A577-4D4F-AF5B-2D21CBEA8483.jpegADA42B9D-3029-4435-A228-DB1E4769F196.jpeg

I like the idea of being able to recharge multiple devices. My wife and I both carry smart phones. Even her damn watch is smart. We have a couple iPads and my laptop as well. It’d be really simple to charge the battery before we go out, and then use to to maintain through the whole day. Disneyland is a huge power drain on us because I’m using GPS on my family the whole time. The wife also uses the shit out of Disney apps to navigate the park. If power got scarce, or we were out longer than planned, I thought it would be fancy to hang a solar panel from my backpack. 

Also... Just think of all the urban prepping applications. Having access to solar power, and the means to store that power, would be a huge asset. 

I was recently looking into some types of solar (home, portable, etc.) and one thing I did find is that the 'soft' or flexible panel systems are significantly less efficient than the 'hard' panels.  I had the same issues with my wife: couldn't keep her toys charged....wait...that doesn't sound right.....anyways, I got her a Solar Joos a couple of years ago.  It's not as high a charge rate or output, but it's almost indestructible by all reports.  She's had it all over the place (camping, trip to Australia) and it's still going strong.  I *think* the batteries are replaceable in it as well.

Here in Texas, I'd love to have a grid-tied home system as we get heaps of sun even in the winter.  Being oringally from Canada, I chuckle a little when I say "winter" and "Texas" together :) .  Sadly, it would be another massive loan to do it right with batteries and auto-switches.

I have one of the $7 backup chargers in the glovebox of each car.

when we go on a long trip they get pulled out of the glove boxes and into the baggage. I think they are able to charge a phone two times, before they need recharging .  We have never been so far off the grid or away from a vehicle that we we have had to test their limits, but they come in handy .

They are slighlty larger than lipstick tube, and they charge off a wall charger.

the solar panel stuff seem to be way too bulky.

They look something like this.

powerbank-universal-rectangle-2600mah-mi