• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Light weight .375 Raptor

weflyplanes

Ok,

First string started.  Sorry for posting in a old string.

Bit of history on how I ended up with a 375.  I was in the process if moving from CT to TX so a AR platform was now possible.  I wanted a multi barrel platform so I started out with a 6.5x47 for distance then stumbled upon the .375 and after a few phone calls I had ordered the barrel.

Initial plan was for a Colorado Elk gun but the round will now also be used in Texas out of a 10 3/4 inch barrel with suppressor when I get a stamp from ATF and will be for used for hogs.

Barrel is from X-caliber barrels 22 Inches.

Matched receiver set from 2a-armament

8.8 lbs but I switched out buffer tube to get it to 8.3 lbs.  If I take it out and have to carry it I'll switch the whole butt stick and buffer tube for a smoke composite system which dumps the weight.

For those with questions about the round, I am not the expert just someone who likes being different, go to 375Raptor.com there are pages detailing the round.  

Thanks.

Screenshot_20171201-134338.jpg

Yeah.  It's a FAB (brick) lol.  Wasn't sure how my wife was going to like it.  Her allowing me - I'll get back to that in a bit, to build was she had to be able to shoot it.  So I picked it up as a backup as it also has a spring in the stock.  Well she has now shot a few rifles without a problem so the fab is history.

I started out building one rifle.  They are like layes Potato Chips.  You just can't have one.

Screenshot_20180308-165544.jpg

10 minutes ago, weflyplanes said:

Yeah.  It's a FAB (brick) lol.  Wasn't sure how my wife was going to like it.  Her allowing me - I'll get back to that in a bit, to build was she had to be able to shoot it.  So I picked it up as a backup as it also has a spring in the stock.  Well she has now shot a few rifles without a problem so the fab is history.

I started out building one rifle.  They are like layes Potato Chips.  You just can't have one.

Screenshot_20180308-165544.jpg

Above.

1) 22 Inch 6.5x47

2) 22 inch 375 Raptor

3) 22 Inch 375 Raptor

4) 20 Inch 7 Raptor

5) 20 inch 7 Raptor

6) 16 Inch 7 Raptor

7) 10.5 pistol 7 Raptor

8) Not pictured a 375 Pistol 10.75 or 12 Not deceided yet.

54 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

I'll save you a few more ounces by ditching the FAB (I think it's a FAB?) buttstock, and replacing it with a AB Arms USS Stock.

Just looked at their web site.  Looks great.  Think I may add one to my 7 Raptor build of which I have 2 currently complete.

Mu

]

17 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Damn, I've been wanting to see the details of this thing, in it's own thread, since you mentioned it  - and this thread delivers!   :banana:

Excellent work.  :thumbup:

I shot the 7 Raptor and took it hunting and was Very pleased. The 375 ended up even better balanced and the numbers are fantastic.  The nosler bullet, I want the 260 Accubond, should be avail around April so I will shoot the Speer 270 hopefully within the next few weeks.  A few friends have asked that I record the session so I'll post those as well.

I was made aware of the Hammer.  I went with the Raptor because it was developed to keep MY, the shooters cost, down.  Just a barrel swap everything works with the exception you have to tweak the magazine.  If I can do it anyone can.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

had to track down this thread from reading about it on the "building a lightweight ar" thread.

i really expected you to say you live in AK. I am in the middle of my PPL now, and my A&P ticket as well. but i'll try to stay with the smaller planes for sandbars in AK. 

I am new here as well. assembled a PA-10 and debating about my next caliber already. i have been curious with the 375 raptor as well as others, really want a big heavy hitting projectile for the big bears of the brown color in AK. Love how you kept your raptor lightweight. 

Welcome, from one newb to another