• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Issue with bolt catch jamming bolt

Cruiser

Ok.. looking for a little guidance, and hoping someone has run across the same issue. Search didn't seem to get me there so here I am.  This is a new build - and here are the pertinent parts:

Gibbz G10 side charge upper. Matching G10 lower.   Bolt catch was from a lpk by Guntec USA.  All my supplier had in stock.  

Initially the bolt catch would simply not engage the bolt. Even lifting the catch with your finger, it simply would not lift high enough to engage the bolt, or even touch any of the locking lugs.  After inspection, I noticed the bolt catch was hitting the upper, so the demel, mini files, and some polish and paint later, the catch was able to lift high enough to engage the bolt. But this brought on a new problem. The tang on the catch that engages the magazine follower, now will slide off the side of the follower, and jam the bolt. If I depress the follower through the ejection port, I can lift the catch to the desired height and it engages the bolt fine. Manually running the bolt back with a mag in it, will simply not work. The only 2 mags I have to try, are a pmag, and a dpms metal mag. Same issues with both. 

Can anyone recommend either a differant brand of catch that is designed to work with this combination, or an acceptable remedy?  

Thanks!!

IMG_7905.JPG

IMG_7906.JPG

You need to trim down the bottom corner on the bolt catch.  That's hitting inside the cutout in the lower.  Dothat first, so it at least lifts without binding.  Let's work on the engagement once it moves freely.

Edited by 98Z5V

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Wait a minute - that looks like a 5.56 bolt catch...

Yup. I saw that too. 

You bought an AR15 part my friend. It’s the wrong size part, by about 1/8”. I can see from the pics that it’s not even long enough to engage the magazine  

Do yourself a favor and order a Phase 5 EBR.... make sure you get the .308 version!

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

You need to trim down the bottom corner on the bolt catch.  That's hitting inside the cutout in the lower.  Dothat first, so it at least lifts without binding.  Let's work on the engagement once it moves freely.

Sorry- I wasn't to clear there. The catch moves freely without binding - unless there is an empty mag in it. It only gets hung up when the tang on the catch "falls off" the magazine follower. Then the catch has no way of going back "down" and therefore it binds the bolt. Hope that helps explain it a little better. 

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Wait a minute - that looks like a 5.56 bolt catch...

I'll Compare it to my Milspec stuff, just in case. :)

44 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

Yup. I saw that too. 

You bought an AR15 part my friend. It’s the wrong size part, by about 1/8”. I can see from the pics that it’s not even long enough to engage the magazine  

Do yourself a favor and order a Phase 5 EBR.... make sure you get the .308 version!

Great. I'll check it out!