• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

n120 for 300aac

otto150

I've been using ADI AR2205, sold in the USA as Hodgdon H4227, same burn rate as H110 but being an extruded powder it's super clean and seems to be a lot less offensive, in your face, when running suppressed, also use it in 9x25 Dillon loads.

8 hours ago, 308kiwi said:

I've been using ADI AR2205, sold in the USA as Hodgdon H4227, same burn rate as H110 but being an extruded powder it's super clean and seems to be a lot less offensive, in your face, when running suppressed, also use it in 9x25 Dillon loads.

Never thought about that.  I always keep a few pounds of it for 30 Carbine.   :thumbup:

I do like Vihtavuori powders, they are so consistent and clean, my 10mm just loves N350 and the wifes 9mm Carbine loves 3n37 BUT they are so ridiculously expensive and just when you get a load sorted it's out of stock and the next shipment isn't due until next year. So I've just given up on it as a powder, nothing wrong with the product, just the clowns that import it can't get their shitt together.

We have ADI, (who make a lot of powders you guys are familiar with, especially in the Hodgdon range), next door to us, supply is so much more consistent and the exchange rate between AUS and NZ is almost $ for $ so cost is realistic. So we just buy 'local' now except the odd time that Winchester Autocomp or WSF are in stock, both great pistol powders.

Have loaded lots of N120  in X39 and is one of of best and stood alone for a long time. Have you tried CFE_BLK yet?  This powder gives you everything N120 will + its is cleaner! I have compared it to IMR 4198, RL7, 1680, Norma 200, and Vit powders N110, N120, N130, N530 & N133.  CFE BLK specks, performance and handling are nearly a mirror image of Vit120,, except CFE is a bit hotter by about 40FPS and half the price. If Vit made a N520 or N115, this would be it.

4 hours ago, TenRingKing said:

Have you tried CFE_BLK yet?  This powder gives you everything N120 will + its is cleaner! I have compared it to IMR 4198, RL7, 1680,

I gotta look into this one, then...  I use RL7 in 25/45 loads and 1680 in the 300BLK loads.  I mean, I know it'll work in the blackout, that's a given.  I need to research it for the 25/45.  If I can consolidate, I certainly will.  :thumbup:

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/2121/308-dia-125-gr-HP   Had some fun with these  bullets with N120 and CFE. When these first came out picked up a box to try in my 308x39 ARs. Well, no way these will fit a  x39 mag. Not even close. Arrrrrr! Relay disappointed as this bullet is awesome! The perfect 30 cal mid size cartridge flat base Match bullet with a new unique design tip! You just know this is some thing special. Truly, one of a kind design. So much for the ARs, BUT, I could shoot them from my CZ 527 bolt rifle. Loading them as single shot. No biggie, its range play. I loaded 20 rounds of each. 27gr N120 and 27.gn CFE. Lapua brass. The two 5 shot groups at 50 yards were identical POI . SUB MOA.  Shot the other 30 rounds vaporizing golf ball size rocks on the berm, 225 yards. Just killen it, this bullet is  some thing relay special. The  CZ & CFE also had a great day with the Sierra 308 dia. 135 grain Varmint, another one of a kind design that I must say when I first saw them said, No Way these can be varmint accurate, But SOB, these things are awesome, and from the impact on the berm, looks to deliver quiet a punch!   You 300 guys, With this Sierra 125gr guided missile and CFE, you should be shooting Sub MOA with out even trying!   

I'm in, man - I'll try them.  The only thing I've loaded for 300BLK has been Hornady 150 FMJBTs.  Midrange weight, midrange velocity, HELLACIOUS punch.  I'll try these Sierra 125s out, and load some up.  :thumbup:

One of my 308x39 ARs is a Mc Gown 20" target and I shoot some nice bullets, Berger, Lapua & Sierra. When you open the first box of these, you can't be nothing but impressed. Custom designed from the ground up for a specific caliber, the 300. Sierra quality thru and thru. Now take a powder, CFE designed for a specific calibar, the 300  there is just no way you can miss. This is got to be the easiest Match Grade Ammo EVER!