• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Current Production PA10's, .308 and 6.5CM rifle reviews, and compared to 1 year old PA10 Gen II's

I will be adding info as I go... but I will say the newest production ones are more refined , IMHO.

And pictures of the newer improved stuff will follow.

The current production rifles details are.... ( the 1 year old ones are very similar except for the barrels, 18" middies, with their slimmer A2 barrel profile )

1. Both 20" HB profile , .990" til' the Gas block area , then a snug fitting journal long enough for GI style front sight assm. ( One in .308, one in 6.5CM, both the same profile )
2. Standard .750" GB
3. Rifle length gas system, SS gas tube
4. The Longer Armalite style buffer tube system PSA emblem and PA 10 marked ( so it is compatible with conventional AR15 carbine buffer sizes )
5. A 3.9oz "H" buffer ( as per the cheap scale ),
6. Magpul ACS-L, Black, adjustable carbine stock
7. A2 style flash suppressor, both Muzzle Threads 5/8-24.... ( The 6.5CM barrel alone shown on PSA's Webpage shows the wrong unheard of thread, btw )
8. Single ejector Nitrated BCG on both, with a tapered ( HP, stronger ) firing pin , w/ a .068 tip size. ( For those of you that prefer small diameter FP , for your 6.5CM's )
9. 15" Free float MLOK handguards, with 2ea 1/4" hex screw and nuts to hold it in place. And a barrel nut that is made for a 1 3/8ish each crows foot
10. PSA's Enhanced Polished Fire Control Group trigger,

I will address each difference as I go on rambling...

All the other stuff is regular ol' sturdy PSA PA10 Gen II stuff... ( without specific measured sizes yet, as in measuring all the receiver dimensions )

Some of the noticeable improvements out of the box.

The current production bolt catch / lock back is fantastically improved, even noticeably and visually it protrudes slightly more when engaged, then my 1 year old , prior set.

+1 for PSA.

In both rifles most all 10rd, 20rd, and 25rd mags drop free , fully loaded and empty... the ones that didn't work, well have never worked as expected.

Note, before ( in the 1 year olds ) I had to burnish the magwell slightly to allow easy drop free.

Magpul, Lancer, IWI, D&H Ind. , seated easily... and hand cycled smoothly ( my previous PA10 Gen II's didn't like the Lancers, they felt like they were dragging on the BCG somehow... never got around to seeing why )

The C Products dropped free, while empty and with only 19rds .. but has always been a problem child, even the Maglula dislikes loading the 20th round... that one fully loaded required a firm smack, 19rds... not so firm a smack, and it locks in place VERY firmly when trying to eject a full 20rd mag....19rds loaded freely drops. I strongly suspect the mag catch hole on the mag body is a little to low. ( And frankly, their follower sucks in mine, when using the Maglula.. it tilts after 4rds loaded )

The Brownells 20rd mags... arrgh... they still spread at the feed lips when loaded with 20rds... and do not even insert easily as such. Locking in is just like the C-Products, crap with 20rds... ok'ish with 19rds...

+2 for PSA.

I truly like the Heavy barrel, with rifle length gas system being available.
I am a accuracy junkie... and while the 1 years olds A2 profiles produced very good groups ( both the nitrated and SS )... the HBar configurations are much more to my liking ... especially in the 6.5CM.

So far , from the initial firing of both, the rifle length gas system and OEM configuration carbine recoil system is softer shooting then the 1yo's middie gas system with the older DPMS style carbine system... ( go figure huh ? )
I don't know if the added spring length of the current production Armalite recoil assm. is why ( or the spring strength has been increased ) or when combined with the RLGS is a bigger part of the picture... but the current productions certainly "kick / recoil" softer the the 1yo's.

I will still be added a Adj. GB... BUT... IMHO the noticeable difference from the Rifle length gas system lessens the "need / desire" for a slower cyclic speed.... because I strongly prefer only the recoil impulse needed to 100% reliably function the firearm. As well as the much easier to stay on target aspect.

I might try installing the older OEM DPMS style buffer assm. to see if I notice a difference, recoil wise. ( remind me later.. Lol, just in case I enjoy these to much , just the way they are.. )

+3 for PSA.

More to come ... the dogs are having a fit ( starring me down , patiently... ) about not having dinner yet> They are good girls... Lol
And it takes time to be thorough in describing the improvements.

So far ... I am VERY happy to see those improvements already.

. For those that haven't seen the previous PSA PA10 Gen II reviews...
https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/PA10-Nitrated-18-Gen-2-observations-fixes-Criterion-barrel-results-10-Sept-17-/301-284190/

And ...
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/PSA-PA10-GenII-lower-w-PA-65-review-START-at-the-beginning-again-UPDATED-with-Tn-G-results-/301-285762/?page=1

The barrels....

As I mentioned before... I like the HBar profile. Fat .990" HBar profile until the extended portion for a low profile gas block / A2 front sight. Someone is thinking ahead at PSA ...
Preliminary accuracy results show a healthy / more consistent accuracy improvement... ( I will post groups later after allowing the barrels to break in and get a good cleaning )
The barrel extension was considerably smoother then the 1yo's ( and for that matter much smoother then my just bought FN CHF 20" RLGS, with its Manganese Phosphate finish extension , ( no offense FN... PSA was just smoother ) The FN locked up very tight as is the norm, for most virgin barrel extensions in large frame AR's

The reciever extension on the PSA / DC Machine barrels, seemed to be deburred better at the locking lugs as well... I say this because the PSA BCG did not exhibit the "norm" of locking super tight for the first 20rds / and hand cycling... again, nothing bad to say and FN v. PSA strength wise is not an issue,.. the PSA ? DC Machine extension is just better deburred. Kudos to who ever decided a little more fine tuning on the barrel extension helps.

I checked the headspace on all 3 barrels ( the FN and PSA .308 and 6.5CM PSA ).... both the PSA's had very good headspace measurements... on the low end of nice and snug. That should help accuracy as well, I loved stacking the deck in my favor, after seeing the measurements..... The FN was a little looser. Nothing bad, by any means.
I double checked the headspace again after firing all three ( and after cleaning the chambers again. )

So, with the smoother, less sharp edges on the feed ramps, and the deburred locking lugs on the extension... feeding those two PSA / DC Machine barreled uppers was uneventful. The way it should be.

IMHO... and again... I will be posting accuracy 10rd groups later i this thread.

+4 PSA and DC Machine.

The Flash suppressor was GTG... on both PSA's.... however, on the FN CHF barreled upper... I don't know whose flash suppressor it was, I'm guessing FN. The slots were not oval... but straight instead. And the hole through it... was about the size of a .50 cal, I can only assume that is how FN makes them. Any one with a OEM FN ... feel free to chime in, I am curious. Pics later .

The BCG....

As mentioned earlier... A standard PSA made .308 Nitrated BCG.
However.... the bolt now includes a small diameter .068 firing pin tip... and is tapered below the tip... so IMHO it is stronger as a result of that taper.
I will post photos later showing the differences . And weigh them just as a FYI.
Both the .308 and the 6.5CM had the same BCG.
Both had proper staking.
Another worthy item that needs mentioning... was the firing pin retainer key. It is no longer a "cotter key" but is very similar to the original way back when AR10 retainer... but with a nicely tapered insert end for ease of insertion.

+5 for PSA

15" Free float MLOK hand guards....

This is a new gen of FF Hand guards for me. Both the .308 and 6.5CM PSA uppers had the same free float handguards.
Fit and finish is just as nice as my Midwest Industries, my BCM's and that single Troy handguards.
This gen FF Hand guard has indexing tabs at the top , for the Picatinny rail alignment, the tabs appear to be replaceable .. since there is a screw connected to it. I didn't look to closely... so more later.
There is a full length Picatinny rail on top, with full length MLOK slots at the 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions.
It is clamped in place via 2ea, robust 1/4" screws and nuts. Nice healthy sizes, for ham handed folks like me.
The PSA barrel nut is similar to the previous version... but the wrench flats are at the muzzle end ( rather then in the middle'ish )... and appear to be 1 3/8" v. the 1yo's 1 5/16".
I believe PSA makes these FF hand guards in house... but that is an educated guess.
IMHO... the FF hand guard is GTG... that said, I don't jump out of planes with my firearms for a living... so take it for what it is... a working mans very functional, sturdy FF hand guard.

The FN CHF barreled upper has a different PSA made FF handguard... it has a one postion locking ( smallest ) threaded screw, and 3 smaller clamping screws.
The FN FF handguard ( PSA ) also has Picatinny rail indexing tabs. They are the same as the other hand guards on the PSA uppers.
The Picatinny rails are on the FN upper has 6 slots on the chamber end followed by open cutouts until the 5 slots on the muzzle end. The cutouts / middle section ( with no picatinny rail ) make for a very slim diameter. MLOK cutouts are at the 3, 6, and 9 o'clock postions, and run full length.
This version of PSA FF Handguard ... is made by PSA, for sure... I saw them on my tour.
It is also very sturdy.

+6 for PSA.

PSA's Enhanced Polished Fire Control Group trigger....

I gotta say... I'm impressed... It feels every bit as good as a ALG ACT. A smooth pull right until a crisp break. From a $40 trigger... this is a worthy upgrade.
The pull weight measured in the middle of the trigger ( on both ) was 6 1/4 lbs as per my inexpensive RCBS trigger gauge.... on the very bottom tip ( more leverage ) they both measured 5 1/4 lbs.
IMHO, for a working mans priced "enhanced mil-spec" single stage type trigger.... I'm impressed.
I might try some JP springs with it to see if that "helps" the pull weight.

+7 for PSA

So far... PSA has upped its game with the current production PSA PA10 Gen II. The fine tuning has paid off ... certainly compared to the 1yo's. Not that there wasn't anything that couldn't be easily fixed in the 1yo's .... but now, you can get that right out of the box.

As I have said... the 2 PSA upper functioned just fine out of the box.
But I will add my recipe for softer recoiling, and customize it to my liking... prior to shooting for accuracy. IMHO none of the additions should effect the barrels accuracy at all.
I will , sooner or later , lap the upper receiver face flat and true. I believe that is a simple consistency , accuracy wise improvement everyone should do.
And I will "glue" the barrels in place when I lap the upper.

So stay tuned....

Going out to shoot them this Sunday... both the .308 and 6.5Cm... hopefully I have enough time to try all the various factory ammos... this whole being an adult thing.. really gets in the way of my having fun.... ( Lol ) ( and that is what the post holders are about... )

I also will be trying the .308 FN CHF upper as well.

And trying the PSA PA65 Gen II , DUAL ejector Nitrated BCG more thoroughly.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-nitride-6-5-creedmoor-bcg-5165447569.html

BTW ... I have put Lantac brakes on both.. and bought Lantac's " Blast Mitigation Device, Complete with A3 Adapter Collar"... so I will take some of the ammo and see if that gizmo effects POI and groups size.

https://www.lantac-usa.com/product-page/copy-of-bmd-blast-mitigation-device-complete-with-a3-adapter-collar

I also bought ... Forward Controls EMR-A ( EMR-A's an ergonomic ambidextrous left side magazine release )... and it fits very well... HOWEVER... I needed to slightly bend the catch arm to allow it to function properly. ( I have no idea why... ) And it is VERY SIMPLE to do... install completely, and with a non-marring punch, place the punch on the catch end.. and give it a slight smack...that bent it just a little bit... and made it work perfect.
http://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/EMR-A_p_78.html

FWIW... the "ABC/R" V2 (Augmented Bolt Catch / Release ) does not fit the PSA PA10 GenII... the FC bolt catch is not correct size ( dimensionally ) for the PSA PA10 GenII .
( Not uncommon considering the lack of Mil-Spec for .308AR's ) FC has updated the webpage as well. ( Thank You FC ! )
http://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/ABCR-v2-762mm_p_93.html

Next.... I  also added the Odin Works "XMR 3 Extended Magazine Release" on the right hand side... fits and functions very well, but I wish Odin Works would make the "button" slightly better fitting... Catch-22 though... the way it is now it is VERY tolerant of all variety of brand AR's .
https://www.odinworks.com/XMR_GEN_III_p/acc-xmr-3.htm

And ... My favorite add-on.. the Odin Works "Ambidextrous Modular Safety".
While funky looking... I have wanted something like this for YEARS !! It makes flicking the safety, on and off ..far easier .. I know that sounds silly, but believe me, the gizmo just works, and is HIGHLY configurable. I strongly prefer ambi safeties, but the danged levers always have been in the way of my "Shrek" hands. The AMS has the lever arms repositioned, and is a true blessing for me.
https://www.odinworks.com/ODIN_Works_Ambidextrous_Modular_Safety_p/acc-ams.htm

And just an FYI.... with all those parts attached, I can no longer easily remove the hammer pin without taking a part or two off.

So if you prefer the ability of "field stripping" over bench use... consider other variations.

I like the add-ons. So to each his own. ( links provided for convenience )

Edited by bfoosh006

16 minutes ago, bfoosh006 said:

I also bought ... Forward Controls EMR-A ( EMR-A's an ergonomic ambidextrous left side magazine release )... and it fits very well... HOWEVER... I needed to slightly bend the catch arm to allow it to function properly. ( I have no idea why... ) And it is VERY SIMPLE to do... install completely, and with a non-marring punch, place the punch on the catch end.. and give it a slight smack...that bent it just a little bit... and made it work perfect.

FWIW... the "ABC/R" V2 (Augmented Bolt Catch / Release ) does not fit the PSA PA10 GenII... the FC bolt catch is not correct size ( dimensionally ) for the PSA PA10 GenII .
( Not uncommon considering the lack of Mil-Spec for .308AR's ) FC has updated the webpage as well. ( Thank You FC ! )

Roger is AWESOME!  He is well missed around here, that's for sure.  :thumbup::hail:

I am quite interested in the differences  ( POI wise ) in the brake alone v. the "Blast mitigator" w/ brake ... it is a fair chunk of steel out there on the muzzle end.

I gotta say... they both are smooth hand cycling rifles currently.

And the more I flick the Odin safety.. the more I like it. It is never awkward feeling from either side.

Two of the groups from the .308 20" rifle.. ( I didn't have the time I wanted for more then 10ish different brand ammos... and frankly, the single stage trigger was not conducive to my bench shooting.. so I kind of felt like I was not allowing the barrels a fair shake.

This kind of Accuracy from a $160 ( As per PSA webpage, link below ) 20" 1n10 twist HBAR .... is danged good.... especially considering the trigger and rapid fire, and NO barrel cool down.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-20-rifle-length-308-win-1-10-stainless-steel-barrel-516446237.html

The new triggers ( SSA-E ) will be installed and used next weekend. I truly expect better results.. since I won't be waiting for the long as_ Mil-Spec pull to break

Both benched, scoped, 100yds, 10rds each, rapid fire, bagged front and rear.

I need to say... I am much more accustom to my SSA-E / larue trigger pulls... so considering I was using the PSA 6 1/2lb single stage ... I truly believe the accuracy would be even better with the target triggers installed.

And more info later... Lol

Just thought for those of you curious...

175gr FGMM 10rds... rapid fire... the 175gr FGMM, would shoot like this time after time.. hot or cold barrel , BMD or not.

First image... FGMM 175gr 100yds, 10rds etc.
Second image With the BMD... FGMM 175gr

IMG_3019.JPG

IMG_3020.JPG

Sorry it has taken so long to get back with info... but, I decided I wasn't going to do justice to the PA10 ( .308 ) and the PA65 ( 6.5CM ) with the OEM triggers installed from the factory.
This rifles are set up for accuracy... so I have now installed, in both, Geissele SSA-E's

Don't get me wrong, the triggers are perfectly good single stage "Mil-Spec'ish" triggers... consistent, smooth and a good break., Frankly they are worth the money... just not right for this situation.

Anyhow.... pulling 6 1/2lbs for every shot, is.. frankly , fatiquing. Shooting about 10 different ammos, 10 shots each... it takes quite a bit of concentration while waiting for the shot.

I will be spending all of Sunday firing for accuracy, with both. ( Many hundreds of rounds, no cleaning , no cool down... etc. )

Given the results from the single stage triggers from last weekend... I am confident the target triggers will allow me to take full advantage of the HBAR's accuracy.

Again sorry for the delay's... but we will get there.

If anyone is not sure if they "should" buy one of the uppers... or barrels... remember, my last HBAR 6.5CM shot sub MOA with 5 different factory rounds... and after truing / lapping the upper receiver face, and Loctite 690'ing the barrel in place... many other factory rounds, from a before and after testing regiment improved dramatically.

I hope all this info helps everyone enjoy bargain priced PSA's.

Thank Guys and Gals.

Some of the better groups from the 6.5CM PSA PA10 GenII.... all in the pouring rain..... wheeee !! ( the targets were drenched, that is why some have tears )

BTW.. I never adjust my POI to my POA... so I can continue to use the Point of aim.

All groups fired with no cool down, barrel cleaning, etc... 10rds, rapid fire, 100yds , benched , scoped, bagged front and rear.

IMHO, pretty danged good for a barrel you can buy for $170 on the PSA website.

I will give the barrel and thoroughly clean it, then true / lap the upper receiver face, and Loctite it in next round.

Some of the fliers were me getting fidgety at the bench..I fired quite a few rounds yesterday...( A full .50 Cal ammo can of empties from both the .308 and the 6.5CM )

The AG ( Hornady American Gunner 140gr ) shows it. Very nice that it likes this inexpensive "Bulk" ammo.
And the "new" Fed. AE120gr did pretty good...

IMG_3053.JPG

IMG_3057.JPG

IMG_3060.JPG

IMG_3071.JPG

IMG_3076.JPG

IMG_3077.JPG

Edited by bfoosh006

.308 PSA PA10 GenII ... some of the better groups.. BTW.. I never adjust my POI to my POA... so I can continue to use the Point of aim.

And because I am a dummy... I left the 175gr FGMM at home... that was frustrating, since I really wanted groups from the lighter trigger.

And same thing.. I will TnG ( true / Lap and Glue Loctite ) the upper receiver face later.

IMG_3040.JPG

IMG_3045.JPG

IMG_3072.JPG

IMG_3032.JPG

31 minutes ago, bfoosh006 said:

By the way...I bought a Lyman bore cam... the DC Machine barrels ( owned by PSA ) is pretty much flawless.. and very smooth.

I will post photos later.

I could have sent you a 5mm-headed bore camera to play with. I use it to diagnose blown engines, before I tear them down.  :thumbup:

19 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I could have sent you a 5mm-headed bore camera to play with. I use it to diagnose blown engines, before I tear them down.  :thumbup:

Thank you for the offer... but I would keep it for years... many barrels and stuff to look at !
I have to add....barrel cleaning has never been so productive.

No copper fouling to speak of... and very easy clean up... now I can see where I just guessed at before.

The Lyman was on sale and with a discount code.. it was $110 bucks.... IMHO, money well spent for those of you wondering if you "need" one.. Lol

• 1 month later...
On 5/29/2018 at 11:07 AM, bfoosh006 said:

I will be adding info as I go... but I will say the newest production ones are more refined , IMHO.

The current production rifles details are.... ( the 1 year old ones are very similar except for the barrels, 18" middies, with their slimmer A2 barrel profile )

1. Both 20" HB profile , .990" til' the Gas block area , then a snug fitting journal long enough for GI style front sight assm. ( One in .308, one in 6.5CM, both the same profile )
2. Standard .750" GB
4. The Longer Armalite style buffer tube system PSA emblem and PA 10 marked ( so it is compatible with conventional AR15 carbine buffer sizes )
7. A2 style flash suppressor, both Muzzle Threads 5/8-24.... ( The 6.5CM barrel alone shown on PSA's Webpage shows the wrong unheard of thread, btw )
8. Single ejector Nitrated BCG on both, with a tapered ( HP, stronger ) firing pin , w/ a .068 tip size. ( For those of you that prefer small diameter FP , for your 6.5CM's )
9. 15" Free float MLOK handguards, with 2ea 1/4" hex screw and nuts to hold it in place. And a barrel nut that is made for a 1 3/8ish each crows foot

All the other stuff is regular ol' sturdy PSA PA10 Gen II stuff... ( without specific measured sizes yet, as in measuring all the receiver dimensions )

The current production bolt catch / lock back is fantastically improved, even noticeably and visually it protrudes slightly more when engaged, then my 1 year old , prior set.

+1 for PSA.

In both rifles most all 10rd, 20rd, and 25rd mags drop free , fully loaded and empty... the ones that didn't work, well have never worked as expected.

Note, before ( in the 1 year olds ) I had to burnish the magwell slightly to allow easy drop free.

Magpul, Lancer, IWI, D&H Ind. , seated easily... and hand cycled smoothly ( my previous PA10 Gen II's didn't like the Lancers, they felt like they were dragging on the BCG somehow... never got around to seeing why )

The C Products dropped free, while empty and with only 19rds .. but has always been a problem child, even the Maglula dislikes loading the 20th round... that one fully loaded required a firm smack, 19rds... not so firm a smack, and it locks in place VERY firmly when trying to eject a full 20rd mag....19rds loaded freely drops. I strongly suspect the mag catch hole on the mag body is a little to low. ( And frankly, their follower sucks in mine, when using the Maglula.. it tilts after 4rds loaded )

The Brownells 20rd mags... arrgh... they still spread at the feed lips when loaded with 20rds... and do not even insert easily as such. Locking in is just like the C-Products, crap with 20rds... ok'ish with 19rds...

+2 for PSA.

I am a accuracy junkie... and while the 1 years olds A2 profiles produced very good groups ( both the nitrated and SS )... the HBar configurations are much more to my liking ... especially in the 6.5CM.

So far , from the initial firing of both, the rifle length gas system and OEM configuration carbine recoil system is softer shooting then the 1yo's middie gas system with the older DPMS style carbine system... ( go figure huh ? )
I don't know if the added spring length of the current production Armalite recoil assm. is why ( or the spring strength has been increased ) or when combined with the RLGS is a bigger part of the picture... but the current productions certainly "kick / recoil" softer the the 1yo's.

I will still be added a Adj. GB... BUT... IMHO the noticeable difference from the Rifle length gas system lessens the "need / desire" for a slower cyclic speed.... because I strongly prefer only the recoil impulse needed to 100% reliably function the firearm. As well as the much easier to stay on target aspect.

I might try installing the older OEM DPMS style buffer assm. to see if I notice a difference, recoil wise. ( remind me later.. Lol, just in case I enjoy these to much , just the way they are.. )

+3 for PSA.

More to come ... the dogs are having a fit ( starring me down , patiently... ) about not having dinner yet> They are good girls... Lol

https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/PA10-Nitrated-18-Gen-2-observations-fixes-Criterion-barrel-results-10-Sept-17-/301-284190/

And ...
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/PSA-PA10-GenII-lower-w-PA-65-review-START-at-the-beginning-again-UPDATED-with-Tn-G-results-/301-285762/?page=1

On 5/29/2018 at 11:08 AM, bfoosh006 said:

The barrels....

As I mentioned before... I like the HBar profile. Fat .990" HBar profile until the extended portion for a low profile gas block / A2 front sight. Someone is thinking ahead at PSA ...
Preliminary accuracy results show a healthy / more consistent accuracy improvement... ( I will post groups later after allowing the barrels to break in and get a good cleaning )
The barrel extension was considerably smoother then the 1yo's ( and for that matter much smoother then my just bought FN CHF 20" RLGS, with its Manganese Phosphate finish extension , ( no offense FN... PSA was just smoother ) The FN locked up very tight as is the norm, for most virgin barrel extensions in large frame AR's

The reciever extension on the PSA / DC Machine barrels, seemed to be deburred better at the locking lugs as well... I say this because the PSA BCG did not exhibit the "norm" of locking super tight for the first 20rds / and hand cycling... again, nothing bad to say and FN v. PSA strength wise is not an issue,.. the PSA ? DC Machine extension is just better deburred. Kudos to who ever decided a little more fine tuning on the barrel extension helps.

I checked the headspace on all 3 barrels ( the FN and PSA .308 and 6.5CM PSA ).... both the PSA's had very good headspace measurements... on the low end of nice and snug. That should help accuracy as well, I loved stacking the deck in my favor, after seeing the measurements..... The FN was a little looser. Nothing bad, by any means.
I double checked the headspace again after firing all three ( and after cleaning the chambers again. )

So, with the smoother, less sharp edges on the feed ramps, and the deburred locking lugs on the extension... feeding those two PSA / DC Machine barreled uppers was uneventful. The way it should be.

IMHO... and again... I will be posting accuracy 10rd groups later i this thread.

+4 PSA and DC Machine.

The Flash suppressor was GTG... on both PSA's.... however, on the FN CHF barreled upper... I don't know whose flash suppressor it was, I'm guessing FN. The slots were not oval... but straight instead. And the hole through it... was about the size of a .50 cal, I can only assume that is how FN makes them. Any one with a OEM FN ... feel free to chime in, I am curious. Pics later .

The BCG....

However.... the bolt now includes a small diameter .068 firing pin tip... and is tapered below the tip... so IMHO it is stronger as a result of that taper.
I will post photos later showing the differences . And weigh them just as a FYI.
Both had proper staking.
Another worthy item that needs mentioning... was the firing pin retainer key. It is no longer a "cotter key" but is very similar to the original way back when AR10 retainer... but with a nicely tapered insert end for ease of insertion.

+5 for PSA

This is a new gen of FF Hand guards for me. Both the .308 and 6.5CM PSA uppers had the same free float handguards.
Fit and finish is just as nice as my Midwest Industries, my BCM's and that single Troy handguards.
This gen FF Hand guard has indexing tabs at the top , for the Picatinny rail alignment, the tabs appear to be replaceable .. since there is a screw connected to it. I didn't look to closely... so more later.
There is a full length Picatinny rail on top, with full length MLOK slots at the 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions.
It is clamped in place via 2ea, robust 1/4" screws and nuts. Nice healthy sizes, for ham handed folks like me.
The PSA barrel nut is similar to the previous version... but the wrench flats are at the muzzle end ( rather then in the middle'ish )... and appear to be 1 3/8" v. the 1yo's 1 5/16".
I believe PSA makes these FF hand guards in house... but that is an educated guess.
IMHO... the FF hand guard is GTG... that said, I don't jump out of planes with my firearms for a living... so take it for what it is... a working mans very functional, sturdy FF hand guard.

The FN CHF barreled upper has a different PSA made FF handguard... it has a one postion locking ( smallest ) threaded screw, and 3 smaller clamping screws.
The FN FF handguard ( PSA ) also has Picatinny rail indexing tabs. They are the same as the other hand guards on the PSA uppers.
The Picatinny rails are on the FN upper has 6 slots on the chamber end followed by open cutouts until the 5 slots on the muzzle end. The cutouts / middle section ( with no picatinny rail ) make for a very slim diameter. MLOK cutouts are at the 3, 6, and 9 o'clock postions, and run full length.
This version of PSA FF Handguard ... is made by PSA, for sure... I saw them on my tour.
It is also very sturdy.

+6 for PSA.

I gotta say... I'm impressed... It feels every bit as good as a ALG ACT. A smooth pull right until a crisp break. From a $40 trigger... this is a worthy upgrade.
The pull weight measured in the middle of the trigger ( on both ) was 6 1/4 lbs as per my inexpensive RCBS trigger gauge.... on the very bottom tip ( more leverage ) they both measured 5 1/4 lbs.
IMHO, for a working mans priced "enhanced mil-spec" single stage type trigger.... I'm impressed.

+7 for PSA

So far... PSA has upped its game with the current production PSA PA10 Gen II. The fine tuning has paid off ... certainly compared to the 1yo's. Not that there wasn't anything that couldn't be easily fixed in the 1yo's .... but now, you can get that right out of the box.

But I will add my recipe for softer recoiling, and customize it to my liking... prior to shooting for accuracy. IMHO none of the additions should effect the barrels accuracy at all.
I will , sooner or later , lap the upper receiver face flat and true. I believe that is a simple consistency , accuracy wise improvement everyone should do.

So stay tuned....

On 6/1/2018 at 8:56 PM, bfoosh006 said:

Going out to shoot them this Sunday... both the .308 and 6.5Cm... hopefully I have enough time to try all the various factory ammos... this whole being an adult thing.. really gets in the way of my having fun.... ( Lol ) ( and that is what the post holders are about... )

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-nitride-6-5-creedmoor-bcg-5165447569.html

BTW ... I have put Lantac brakes on both.. and bought Lantac's " Blast Mitigation Device, Complete with A3 Adapter Collar"... so I will take some of the ammo and see if that gizmo effects POI and groups size.

https://www.lantac-usa.com/product-page/copy-of-bmd-blast-mitigation-device-complete-with-a3-adapter-collar

Next.... I  also added the Odin Works "XMR 3 Extended Magazine Release" on the right hand side... fits and functions very well, but I wish Odin Works would make the "button" slightly better fitting... Catch-22 though... the way it is now it is VERY tolerant of all variety of brand AR's .

While funky looking... I have wanted something like this for YEARS !! It makes flicking the safety, on and off ..far easier .. I know that sounds silly, but believe me, the gizmo just works, and is HIGHLY configurable. I strongly prefer ambi safeties, but the danged levers always have been in the way of my "Shrek" hands. The AMS has the lever arms repositioned, and is a true blessing for me.

And just an FYI.... with all those parts attached, I can no longer easily remove the hammer pin without taking a part or two off.

So if you prefer the ability of "field stripping" over bench use... consider other variations.

On 6/2/2018 at 11:29 PM, bfoosh006 said:

I am quite interested in the differences  ( POI wise ) in the brake alone v. the "Blast mitigator" w/ brake ... it is a fair chunk of steel out there on the muzzle end.

And the more I flick the Odin safety.. the more I like it. It is never awkward feeling from either side.

On 6/6/2018 at 12:15 PM, bfoosh006 said:
Two of the groups from the .308 20" rifle.. ( I didn't have the time I wanted for more then 10ish different brand ammos... and frankly, the single stage trigger was not conducive to my bench shooting.. so I kind of felt like I was not allowing the barrels a fair shake.

This kind of Accuracy from a $160 ( As per PSA webpage, link below ) 20" 1n10 twist HBAR .... is danged good.... especially considering the trigger and rapid fire, and NO barrel cool down.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-20-rifle-length-308-win-1-10-stainless-steel-barrel-516446237.html

The new triggers ( SSA-E ) will be installed and used next weekend. I truly expect better results.. since I won't be waiting for the long as_ Mil-Spec pull to break

I need to say... I am much more accustom to my SSA-E / larue trigger pulls... so considering I was using the PSA 6 1/2lb single stage ... I truly believe the accuracy would be even better with the target triggers installed.

175gr FGMM 10rds... rapid fire... the 175gr FGMM, would shoot like this time after time.. hot or cold barrel , BMD or not.

IMG_3019.JPG

IMG_3020.JPG

On 6/6/2018 at 12:16 PM, bfoosh006 said:

Sorry it has taken so long to get back with info... but, I decided I wasn't going to do justice to the PA10 ( .308 ) and the PA65 ( 6.5CM ) with the OEM triggers installed from the factory.
This rifles are set up for accuracy... so I have now installed, in both, Geissele SSA-E's

Don't get me wrong, the triggers are perfectly good single stage "Mil-Spec'ish" triggers... consistent, smooth and a good break., Frankly they are worth the money... just not right for this situation.

Anyhow.... pulling 6 1/2lbs for every shot, is.. frankly , fatiquing. Shooting about 10 different ammos, 10 shots each... it takes quite a bit of concentration while waiting for the shot.

I will be spending all of Sunday firing for accuracy, with both. ( Many hundreds of rounds, no cleaning , no cool down... etc. )

Given the results from the single stage triggers from last weekend... I am confident the target triggers will allow me to take full advantage of the HBAR's accuracy.

If anyone is not sure if they "should" buy one of the uppers... or barrels... remember, my last HBAR 6.5CM shot sub MOA with 5 different factory rounds... and after truing / lapping the upper receiver face, and Loctite 690'ing the barrel in place... many other factory rounds, from a before and after testing regiment improved dramatically.

Thank Guys and Gals.

On 6/6/2018 at 3:48 PM, Bigfoot said:

Nice shooting:fullauto:.Looking forward to report.

On 6/7/2018 at 7:30 AM, bfoosh006 said:

As am I... the new SSA-E is worlds better.
I expect much it will be much easier to shoot well.

On 6/11/2018 at 12:46 PM, bfoosh006 said:

Some of the better groups from the 6.5CM PSA PA10 GenII.... all in the pouring rain..... wheeee !! ( the targets were drenched, that is why some have tears )

BTW.. I never adjust my POI to my POA... so I can continue to use the Point of aim.

All groups fired with no cool down, barrel cleaning, etc... 10rds, rapid fire, 100yds , benched , scoped, bagged front and rear.

I will give the barrel and thoroughly clean it, then true / lap the upper receiver face, and Loctite it in next round.

Some of the fliers were me getting fidgety at the bench..I fired quite a few rounds yesterday...( A full .50 Cal ammo can of empties from both the .308 and the 6.5CM )

The AG ( Hornady American Gunner 140gr ) shows it. Very nice that it likes this inexpensive "Bulk" ammo.

IMG_3053.JPG

IMG_3057.JPG

IMG_3060.JPG

IMG_3071.JPG

IMG_3076.JPG

IMG_3077.JPG

On 6/11/2018 at 12:51 PM, bfoosh006 said:

.308 PSA PA10 GenII ... some of the better groups.. BTW.. I never adjust my POI to my POA... so I can continue to use the Point of aim.

And because I am a dummy... I left the 175gr FGMM at home... that was frustrating, since I really wanted groups from the lighter trigger.

And same thing.. I will TnG ( true / Lap and Glue Loctite ) the upper receiver face later.

IMG_3040.JPG

IMG_3045.JPG

IMG_3072.JPG

IMG_3032.JPG

On 6/11/2018 at 12:58 PM, bfoosh006 said:

Thanks brother... I am expecting better results , from more ammo after the TnG's
And the barrel breaking lapping in.

On 6/16/2018 at 8:06 PM, bfoosh006 said:

By the way...I bought a Lyman bore cam... the DC Machine barrels ( owned by PSA ) is pretty much flawless.. and very smooth.

I will post photos later.

On 6/16/2018 at 9:02 PM, bfoosh006 said:

Thank you for the offer... but I would keep it for years... many barrels and stuff to look at !
I have to add....barrel cleaning has never been so productive.

No copper fouling to speak of... and very easy clean up... now I can see where I just guessed at before.

The Lyman was on sale and with a discount code.. it was $110 bucks.... IMHO, money well spent for those of you wondering if you "need" one.. Lol

On 6/23/2018 at 9:52 PM, bfoosh006 said:

I doubt it... your's should be right at the transition point.

pg1

On 5/29/2018 at 11:07 AM, bfoosh006 said:

2. Standard .750" GB

+1 for PSA.

+2 for PSA.

+3 for PSA.

And ...

On 5/29/2018 at 11:08 AM, bfoosh006 said:

The barrels....

+4 PSA and DC Machine.

The BCG....

Both had proper staking.

+5 for PSA

It is also very sturdy.

+6 for PSA.

+7 for PSA

So stay tuned....

On 6/1/2018 at 8:56 PM, bfoosh006 said:

On 6/2/2018 at 11:29 PM, bfoosh006 said:

On 6/6/2018 at 12:15 PM, bfoosh006 said:

IMG_3019.JPG

IMG_3020.JPG

On 6/6/2018 at 12:16 PM, bfoosh006 said:

Thank Guys and Gals.

On 6/7/2018 at 7:30 AM, bfoosh006 said:

As am I... the new SSA-E is worlds better.
I expect much it will be much easier to shoot well.

On 6/11/2018 at 12:46 PM, bfoosh006 said:

IMG_3053.JPG

IMG_3057.JPG

IMG_3060.JPG

IMG_3071.JPG

IMG_3076.JPG

IMG_3077.JPG

On 6/11/2018 at 12:51 PM, bfoosh006 said:

IMG_3040.JPG

IMG_3045.JPG

IMG_3072.JPG

IMG_3032.JPG

On 6/11/2018 at 12:58 PM, bfoosh006 said:

Thanks brother... I am expecting better results , from more ammo after the TnG's
And the barrel breaking lapping in.