• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Check. Double Check. Do it again.

98Z5V

I'd never seen this before, online.  The credit went to Vortex scopes, because the scope ate most of it, and kept it from getting worse than it could have been.  This came from the Vortex FB page, but I pulled it from Mark Miller's page on The Loadout Room.   :thumbup:

https://loadoutroom.com/11059/vortex-scope-survives-explosion-saves-owner/

Vortex Scope Survives Explosion And Saves Its Owner

vortex.jpg

August 8, 2014 by Mark Miller

I saw this on the Vortex Facebook Page and wanted to share. If you reload or shoot reloads, check twice.

“This was my Savage 111LRH 338 Lapua I had accidentally loaded it with Hodgdon H-110 handgun powder instead of H-1000 rifle powder so when I touched it off the whole gun blew up like a bomb with bits a pieces flying. Your scope forced all the shrapnel down and away from everyone, I had the top straps miss my left arm by a 1/2 inch. If your scope wasn’t on the rifle or if your scope was built so well that shrapnel would have been sent outward and may have hit and injured people standing by. I myself by the grace of God only got 3 little nicks where I could have been severely injured or killed. Yes God does look after stupid people!”

Just don't run pistol powder in your rifle loads, and double check it.    H-110 is what I use in 300 BLK - the rifle round that runs pistol powder, to make it work...

I'm around 16-ish grains in a 150gr projectile 300 BLK load, for 1800fps.  I use Accurate 1680 also, can get more in for another 200fps.

I run 90.0 grains of RL-22 rifle powder in Ron's .338 Lapua Magnum loads, 225gr projectiles @ 2900fps. 

Can you imagine 90grains of pistol powder in a 338 LM load?  Holy FUK! 

That's what happened here...    KAAAAAA-boom.  Bigtime.

EDIT - just checked the Hornady 10 manual for .338 LM and H1000 powder.  I'd have to load 96.6 grains of it with the 225gr projo to get to 2900fps...   That's ALOT of H-110 pistol powder to go wrong!  I can completely understand this destruction here...  

Edited by 98Z5V