• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Adjustable butt stock

I was at a gun show this weekend and purchased a Tapco type butt stock for my LR308. The guy said it would only fit on a DPMS 308. OK but is the buffer spring strong enough for the 308? He says so, but I thought I would get more opinions.

NO.

Digging for more info, in case Tapco released something I haven't heard of.

Those Tapco kits are AR-15 parts, so the buffer and buffer spring are wrong for a .308.  You need .308 AR-specific parts for that, no matter what.

Quick check of Tapco's website - they DO NOT make a single thing that is .308 AR-specific.

That gun show guy lied.

Now, more information from you - do you already have a receiver extension on your .308 AR, with a buffer and buffer tube?  Meaning, did you only buy the buttstock?

Or, did you pick up a whole buttstock kit, all Tapco parts in one kit?

Honestly, not enough detailed info in your original post.

Bottom line, though, you are not going to be able to use an AR-15 buffer or AR-15 buffer spring in any .308 AR rifle.

Do not use the spring and buffer - those are AR-15 parts, regardless of what the gun show seller told you.  Find the following .308 AR-specific parts to make what you bought work:  .308 AR Carbine Buffer // .308 AR Carbine Buffer Spring.

Is it "Tapco type," or is it a real Tapco kit?

98, I have a similiar question. I have a fixed stock as well. If I were to order a magpul stock, could I use the spring that was in the original stock?

Only if it is also a fixed type stock.

The Adj. stocks take a different receiver extension (buffer tube & they can use std. M16 receiver extensions  ) ,308 ,

spring & buffer.

Of course when you get into the adj. you can get Commercial or milspec receiver extensions . They  each take a corresponding stock.

The .308 AR Rifle Spring is different from the AR-15 Rifle Spring.

The .308 AR Carbine Spring is different from the AR-15 Carbine Spring.

The .308 AR buffers are different from the AR-15 buffers, both rifle and carbine.

Don't attempt to use any of the AR-15 internal stock parts here.  Receiver extensions will cross over, unless you need some kind of a hybrid extension.

Buffer%20Table.jpg

The stock has "DSC" on it. It is a Tapco type stock. I will have to Google it.....

That's a Double Star kit - they're quality.

You'll be able to use that receiver extension and the actual buttstock, but not the buffer and buffer spring, unless you verify that it's for their .308 AR.

You'll need to measure the relaxed length of the spring (from the info provided above), and weigh the buffer.  That'll be the only way to determine for sure, unless you find some other identifying marks on the parts. 

FYI - As far as I know, Double Star has not released their .308 AR yet...

Yep, the guy lied. The buffer weight is 3.0 oz and the spring was 10 5/8". Even shorter than stock for a Ar15. I may just use it on my daughters AR15. It will be more comfortable than the DPMS adjustable she has now.

25 years after college I keep paying for my education.