• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

And another new guy building a .308 AR

tjtorborg

Hi guys,

I've been wanting to put together a .308 AR ever since the NRA approved the M110 type .308 AR's for use in service rifle competition.  A couple of weeks ago I got a great deal on a complete lower with an upper minus the bolt and barrel.  So now I've been trying to find any and all infromation I can on building up the upper.  Any advice is more than welcome.

Thanks,

Tom

Okay guys,

The lower is marked Bushmaster but it was actually made by Rock River according to the guy that I bought it from.  I believe him since the lower looks exactly like a Rock River.  When I was at Camp Perry for service rifle week I check with all the major mfrs and they agreed that is what it was.  They also said I should stick to only Rock River parts.  Another thing that I found out was that there are a couple of different styles of 308's.  DPMS, Armalite and Rock River.  DPMS make a lot of parts for other companies.  The there are not interchangable and that is why they told me to use Rock River parts.  That is the extent of my 308 knowledge.

Later,

Tom

If it's a Bushmaster BAR 308, it is made by Rock River, and only Rock River parts are going to fit on it. 

Best info will be in this post here - call the Bushmaster number referenced in there, if that number is still current.  Bushmaster shut down their Windham, Maine plant, so the number listed might not even be current anymore. 

http://www.bushmaster.com/faqs/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=2426