• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Rebuilding a load-suggestions for case prep

dpete

I've got probably 3-400 cases loaded up for my Grendel that it turns out are WAY too hot.  They shoot fantastic accuracy and velocity wise but start flattening and cratering primers and leaving nasty ejector swipes after about 3 rounds in a string.  I've also noticed some random loose primer pockets when repriming newly prepped cases.  I know I have to pull the bullets and rework the load.  I've got the collet puller to do the job efficiently but its still a royal PITA.  My question involves the case necks once they are empty.  They are all lightly crimped using a Lee factory crimp die.  Can I get away with simply chamfering the cases again, leaving the primers in them?  Or would I be better off depriming the live primers out of the whole lot and resizing them all again to remove the crimped spot on the necks?

I'd leave the primers in there, and take apart the resizing/deprining die - just take out the depriming pin - just unscrew it from the rod, if it's an RCBS, and take the removeable pin out.  Run the cases through the sizing die to reform the neck, and you're ready to load them back up, brother.  I'm using CCI 41 primers in all my Grendel loads now - they're slightly larger in diameter, and seat tighter.  I noticed my primer pockets were a little loose, too - those CCI 41s solved that for me. 

I have considered that.  The catch is I have a Lee die set and just recently upgraded to the Forster.  I wouldn't be against cutting the depriming pin off the Lee rod but there is still the question of needing to lube the cases in order to not stick one in the die.  I currently use the Lee case lube diluted 10:1 in water (its water soluble) and spray the cases with it then blow dryer them dry.  Once they are sized I toss them into my wet tumbler with dawn dish soap for 20 min, rinse in hot water, then into the dehydrator to dry.  A live primer wouldn't be very alive after that.  Would dry tumbling in ground walnut lizard bedding be any easier on a live primer to remove any sizing lube?  The whole sizing lube and cleaning it off process is why I thought about depriming them after pulling the bullets and dumping the powder back into its jug.

13 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

One shot case lube. Spray it on. Resize and reload. No need to clean it off.

That I will have to try!   My ex and I lived in La Grange KY for almost 3 years back in the late 80s.  Fished Lake Shelby a few times.