• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Its that time

bgc

In just two short weeks our season opens here in Ohio. With the wet spring and warm temperatures there is an abundance of crop and critters to be harvested.

Already I have cleaned and re-fouled my barrels, knowing exactly where my projectile will strike, the salt blocks are out, the feeder is full, the sunflowers are almost ready to be tilled. I am ready, it is time let the hunting begin........

OH come on , dont tell use you are hunting over food. I know people do it , but I dont like it. I go out scoutting and my walk is long and steep. I walk 2 hours up a mountian. I have had bear within feet of me and hugh hog I could throw a rock at. There are no game carts allowed and I couldnt get one up there anyways. I and my uncle go he is a master butcher so most everything we kill get clean at the creek.

Now here at the house I have salt blocks plenty of leftover garden and I will set my feeders here in about a month. Will I shoot one here? Only if it is the big one I see 2 years ago!! Right beside my house is 186 acres of forest and clear cut, 100 yrds away in the river and across that river I would guess is close to 3500 acres with no poop 4 houses on it and a lot of cattle. Across the road is ruffly another few thousand acres with a handfull of homes as well. A few weeks ago I had a grey fox pup coming at night and staying under my back deck at 1130 I could walk out and just about pet him, nice sight.

I like the hunt not the kill, the wma's sound like a war zone so needless to say they are not safe at all. If I go on a wma hunt I try to be the first one in and get a nap up in the stand. Here a few years back I went up on some NF and there was vans and cops everywhere. I was riding don the dirt road and they was spot lighting in everyones truck, so I want to know why. I stopped and asked the cop what was going on and he said they had 4 inmates escape from the state prison. Talk about scary, the whole time I was walking in I keet thinking someone was following me, gun or not in the dark 4 men would most likly take it from me if they got the jump on me. I turned around and went back to the truck thinking I would come back another day. Those law enforcment was creating to much caos running up and down the roads all day long. Anyhow I forget the point .

now now...to each their own.  I don't hunt over food either but don't condemn those who do.  Lot's of people have limited time and limited space to hunt and "think" that is their best chance.

Where you live it sounds awesome.

Good luck BCG.  Our season in Michigan doesn't start till Oct1 if you don't count the kids hunts and early doe season.

Coyote is already on and small game starts Sept 15.

I wonder what a squirrel looks like after being hit by 308?  hmmmmmmmm  JK

I do hunt over food, I hunt small game. Dove smoked with bacon yummmmm. Pheasant, rabbit, squirrel.......I can taste them now. (I don't hunt deer)

fr3dbar Where bouts in Michigan are you? I have family in Marshall, Jackson, AnnArbor and Cold Water. There is some great fishing in Cold Water.

Im not condeming anyone, I just dont like it when someone hunts over food.

BGC that last post sounds taste as can be.

Coyote here is year around jst like hog is. Small game opens this next week but it is still to hot!!

Big game opens Thanksgiving Day...lol my wife always is mad at me when I take off and am not back by bean time. I have already whitin about 300 yrds from my house seen around 20 deer, but you know when that opening day comes they are never around to shoot, but I can hit one running 55mph in my truck.

It's gotten so the only thing deer season reminds me of is another New York winter is around the corner...lost access to so much land in last 20 yrs around here isn't hardly worth the bother of getting up early...We have lots of state land but I don't care to hunt around people I don't know..and we get tons of hunters from all over in this part of the state....bowhunted last year and that was about it...hoping to make more time for coyotes this yr

• 2 weeks later...
My "SCU, Spousal Control Unit" gets funny when hunting season come around and again when its time to fish and again when.....

Mine asks if there is any thing she can help me pack.

I don't get too worked up until Nov. .I only hunt gun season in Ohio, because I don't live there any more . (Long drive )

Just because you have food for bait out there doesn't mean you will see any thing come to it .