• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Loading 224Valkryie

MikedaddyH

Not buying the lighter projos for this one, brother.  Not at all.  Lightest that I will load will be Hornady 88gr ELD-Ms.  Projo weight makes a huge difference, at distance. When you get the speed-on-the-heavies up there.  It's like 77gr Matchkings in Mk262 ammo - and any heavy 5.56 that you load - I'm in the Hornady 75gr HPBT camp on those, over the Sierras...  If they're not going 2750fps on that load, you'll never see the magic out of them.  Get them to 2750fps - and you see it...   rainbows through your scope, stars align, and you make hits on shiit that is deemed "unpossible" from the mere mortals... Those 5.56 heavies need the speed...   :thumbup:

This is no different - it's still the 5.56 heavies - it's just the REAL HEAVIES...  through a 6.8 SPC case... 

I can get these 88gr Hornady ELD-Ms to 2750fps, with CFE223 powder, through a 1:7" twist barrel...  by the book.  You better believe I'm gonna get there, too, safely.  That's gonna be a magic load, right there...  :hail:

Don't get sucked in to that Sierra 95gr MatchKing on this cartridge.  You need a 1:6.5" twist barrel to run those long, heavy fuckers...  1:7" won't stabilize those big bitches...

Edited by 98Z5V

So, I've started this process.  Dies came in yesterday.  I have 120 rounds of Hornady Match brass accumulated, and about 160 rounds of Federal brass, so far.  I deprimed and resized all of it last night, it was already tumbled for it's first time, prior to last night.  I got through 56 cases last night, finished -

Deprimed and resized the whole batch.  Next step was trimming all the cases.  All the Hornady cases didn't need any trimming at all. They were good, and didn't need trimmed.  All the Federal cases needed trimmed to length, every one.  Some more than others.  I thought that was interesting, but since this is all once-fired factory-loaded ammo, I better start from a consistent brass source.  This bit of info will be interesting later, when it comes time to apply the Lee Factory Crimp Die to them all...

I'm trimming to the 1.580" spec.  The Hornady brass didn't need trimming, so it's under 1.580", obviously.  The Federal brass is now all trimmed to 1.580".  I'll need to sort is as I load it, and crimp the Hornady brass in one step, then change the crimp die to crimp all the Federal that's 1.580".  Gonna be like this until that Hornady brass stretches a little...

I got through the FULL process, ready to prime, on 56 cases last night.  Tonight, I trimmed 50 more of the mixed brass, VLD chamfered inner and outer on the case mouth, and uniformed the primer pockets.  I have 106 done, for the initial load.  Those first 56 will be the load development cases, and the next 50 from tonight will be the confirmation - or further load refinement...  Then I'll have something to work with, load-wise.  500 Hornady 88gr ELD-Ms sitting here, and 2lbs of CFE-223 powder.  We'll see how this goes... 

Edited by 98Z5V

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

Shot a minimum of one round from each of my loads all were good , no FTF , no pressure signs ! 

The Hornady 80ELD-M is a go to projectile ... Nuff Said 😙

CFE223 is the powder 👍

I disagree... The Hornady 88 ELD-M is the Go-To projectile, with CFE 223...   :thefinger::laffs:

23 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

I should have given you 3 to shoot ! My Bad ! Then you could disagree with yourself 😂

I'm pretty set on the 88s...  After today, I know I'm supersonic to  1150 yards, brother.  :thumbup:  How far will your 80s get you?...:banana:

On 12/30/2019 at 1:13 AM, MikedaddyH said:

Going to need a heavier recoil Spring for this gun ... Maybe a heavier buffer also. Must slow down the recoil pulse. Running a H3.

I ran all VLTOR A5 recoil systems in the Grendels, so I went with that for the Valk, too - wanted it to be as close as I came on the 18" SPR-ish Heavy Grendel. 

Here's the Cliff's Notes on the A5 setup.  It's a 3.995" buffer.  They did that so they could use the Armalite AR-10 Carbine receiver extension (7 5/8" internal depth) and the M16A2 rifle recoil spring.  Contract with the Marine Corps to add collapsible stocks to USMC M16A4 Rifles.  Change receiver extension, change buffer, keep spring, add collapsible stock.  Done.

"Common buffer weights" are way different for the A5 setup. 

vltor-a5-buffer-03.jpg

A5 H0 = 3.8oz

A5 H1 = 4.56oz

A5 H2 = 5.33oz

A5 H3 = 6.08oz

A5 H4 = 6.83oz

I have A5 H2s in the Valk and 18" Heavy Grendel.  With the 7 5/8" extension and M16A2 recoil spring, they're perfect.  I run A5 H1 buffers in the other Grendels.

This might be your ticket, brother.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

On 12/30/2019 at 1:22 AM, MikedaddyH said:

Every few rounds a case would be captured in the ejection port while ejecting and the next round would load in the chamber. That is the issue.

Was all that Valk brass, or did you make it from something (another caliber)?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

With the Valk torn down to do all the 6 ARC testing, my Valk is done until the LaRue stuff comes in for the real 6 ARC.  I don't see my Valk coming back up before the Fall Shoot, and don't think I'll have enough time to get any real load RE-development done for it.  It'll be ready for the Spring Shoot in NC, though. 

@Matt.Cross   :thumbup: