• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 build help

Hello guys, I’ve built more than a few ar15’s without issue but I’m having issues with my first 308 build.  The upper, lower, and bcg are 2a armament, the barrel Faxon match series.  After The build I took a quick trip to an indoor range to adjust the gas block, strong gas flow and it locks open on a fairly low setting.  Ran about 75 rounds perfectly(Magtech 168).  Cleaned it and took it out to my outdoor range and the seventh round(SSA 168) stuck in the chamber live, had to Mortar it out.  2 more SSA rounds malfunctioned so I went back to magtech and it was still having malfunctions, mainly failure to feed.  Went home and could barely cycle any ammo with the charging handle.  Cleaned and did a light scrubbing with a flex-hone 800 grit brush, and cleaned again.  Cycled easily with the charging handle, took it to the range today and a failure to feed every other shot, after 25 rounds live shells were get stuck again in the chamber.  Back home and loaded a mag and started cycling with the charging handle. And out of 9 I had to mortar 2 out Magtech.  The shells I cycled with the charging handle have light wear marks on one side of the bullet and some have a small mark at the neck of the casing.  Any help would be appreciated.

3 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

Did you open the gas back up at any point?

Yes I did today and went a little to much and started to get stovepipes, reset it back to just locking open plus a half turn and was back to the shell getting jammed halfway in the chamber.  It seems odd but the less rounds in the magazine the better it runs.  3 different magazines all magpul 25.

Need more gun details.  Don't suspect the 2A upper and lower right away, at all.  Don't suspect the Faxon barrel right away, at all. 

List all your other parts, in specific, every single part you used for the recoil system.  All of it.  Receiver extension brand, type, internal depth down the tube - buffer length and weight.  Spring relaxed length, coil count, brand and type. 

You run an adjustable gas block wide open when you get it, and you only adjust down.  Wide Open.  All the way.  Otherwise, you'll never know if your gas port in the barrel is even large enough for what you need.

Get rid of the MagTech ammo, and any other cheap ammo that you have.  Stick it in a box, and hold it on the side - until you get this gun broken in on quality factory ammo, and running right.  I don't know what you've built, because there's a very limited parts list in your first post, but it doesn't sound like a cheap gun.  Don't buy a new Corvette and fill it up with 87 octane.  Find some Federal Gold Medal Match in the 175gr flavor, and run your gun for about 60 more rounds with that.  Or, just get some other quality ammo, like PMC Bronze.  Just run something good - MagTech sucks. Been there with it. 

#1 - complete parts list, very, very detailed on the recoil system.

#2 - get a picture up of this rifle.

#3 - get a picture up of how far the gas tube protrudes into the upper receiver - preferable pics are with the BCG OUT, and looking straight down into the upper receiver. Need to see the end of the gas tube...

You ran 75 rounds through this gun, then something happened...  It worked for 75 rounds - then it didn't work.  Something broken in the trigger group?  Break a hammer pin?  Disconnector come apart?  Pop a primer in some of that MagTech ammo, and it's jamming your trigger group up?

Man, there's so many things that could be wrong here - but you haven't given enough information yet...

16 minutes ago, 2ndequalsfreedom said:

Yes I did today and went a little to much and started to get stovepipes, reset it back to just locking open plus a half turn and was back to the shell getting jammed halfway in the chamber.  It seems odd but the less rounds in the magazine the better it runs.  3 different magazines all magpul 25.

Was it a graduated reset or did you switch between maxed out and the lowest functioning setting? Sorry for all the questions, I don't think your problem is actually your gas block, but I can't eliminate it without asking.

WIDE OPEN your gas block, man.  Don't change it again until your gun runs right.  Sort the other problems, first.  You complicated shiit with complicated shiit, and it's complicating the issue with solving what's wrong with your gun...

WIDE OPEN that gas block, and leave it like that until everything else is sorted out.  You WANT max gas flow right now.  All of it that's available.

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, 2ndequalsfreedom said:

The shells I cycled with the charging handle have light wear marks on one side of the bullet and some have a small mark at the neck of the casing.  Any help would be appreciated.

That is from extracting and ejecting a live round from the chamber - they're dragging against the locking lugs, on the right side of the locking lugs - during extraction. That's to be expected.

Pics would help.  If you show the marks on your live-extracted ammo - those marks will be spaced apart the same distance as the locking lugs in the barrel extension.

Pics, man.  Put 'em up.  We're trying to diagnose something, and we're blind here, literally...

51 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Need more gun details.  Don't suspect the 2A upper and lower right away, at all.  Don't suspect the Faxon barrel right away, at all. 

List all your other parts, in specific, every single part you used for the recoil system.  All of it.  Receiver extension brand, type, internal depth down the tube - buffer length and weight.  Spring relaxed length, coil count, brand and type. 

You run an adjustable gas block wide open when you get it, and you only adjust down.  Wide Open.  All the way.  Otherwise, you'll never know if your gas port in the barrel is even large enough for what you need.

Get rid of the MagTech ammo, and any other cheap ammo that you have.  Stick it in a box, and hold it on the side - until you get this gun broken in on quality factory ammo, and running right.  I don't know what you've built, because there's a very limited parts list in your first post, but it doesn't sound like a cheap gun.  Don't buy a new Corvette and fill it up with 87 octane.  Find some Federal Gold Medal Match in the 175gr flavor, and run your gun for about 60 more rounds with that.  Or, just get some other quality ammo, like PMC Bronze.  Just run something good - MagTech sucks. Been there with it. 

#1 - complete parts list, very, very detailed on the recoil system.

#2 - get a picture up of this rifle.

#3 - get a picture up of how far the gas tube protrudes into the upper receiver - preferable pics are with the BCG OUT, and looking straight down into the upper receiver. Need to see the end of the gas tube...

You ran 75 rounds through this gun, then something happened...  It worked for 75 rounds - then it didn't work.  Something broken in the trigger group?  Break a hammer pin?  Disconnector come apart?  Pop a primer in some of that MagTech ammo, and it's jamming your trigger group up?

Man, there's so many things that could be wrong here - but you haven't given enough information yet...

Thanks for the help.  From back to front: bcm carbine length tube, jp carbine 308 spring, brownells 3.8 buffer,, bcm lower parts kit, bcm trigger, v7 tool steel bolt catch, 2a mag release, Odin works mid gas tube, seekins gas block .750 adjustable, 2a hand guard, 2a titanium x4 brake.  I will have pictures tomorrow and will run a hundred rounds of federal.  I checked the internals and the hammer and trigger are fine,the only piece of the brass I found after the problem started was the extractor had tore off a casing lip and it was under the extractor.

1 hour ago, Matt.Cross said:

Was it a graduated reset or did you switch between maxed out and the lowest functioning setting? Sorry for all the questions, I don't think your problem is actually your gas block, but I can't eliminate it without asking.

Glad for the help, I opened it up to full and it was stove piping every 3rd round and throwing brass at about 1 o’clock. Then I took it back down to just above lock open.

Details, details. JP Carbine spring - for what?  .308AR or a 5.56 gun?  two different animals.  Spring specs, like I asked before.  Buffer...  it's a "Brownells 3.8 buffer" - well, how long is it?  It's either 2.500" or it's 3.250" long.  "bcm carbine length tube" = what"  What the internal depth?  It's either 7.000" internal, or it's 7 5/8" internal - BCM doesn't mess that up.  But, it's one or the other.

Since you fired 75 rounds, the recoil system isn't trashed - it worked.  Before.  Something happened here, that made the gun not run anymore...

5 minutes ago, 2ndequalsfreedom said:

Glad for the help, I opened it up to full and it was stove piping every 3rd round and throwing brass at about 1 o’clock. Then I took it back down to just above lock open.

That's the sign of a weak recoil system, right there...

I can almost guarantee you that Faxon didn't give you a gas port diameter that was TOO large - it's more the opposite, with gas port diameters - too small.

If you opened it up and had that happening - your recoil system is the fault here.  It's not strong enough.  That 3.8oz buffer weight is Number One, too.  It need to be 5.4oz.

List your recoil parts dimensions, and don't get wrapped up by what I just said - but that's the problem here.  Or, it's the biggest problem, right now...

Edited by 98Z5V

Go hit the Intro Section, and tell us a WHOLE LOT about yourself.  This is a community, and we don't owe anybody any information.  You've already gotten a great headstart on free-info, so it's time you make your dues.  Here's a link to the intro section:

https://forum.308ar.com/forum/22-introductions/

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Go hit the Intro Section, and tell us a WHOLE LOT about yourself.  This is a community, and we don't owe anybody any information.  You've already gotten a great headstart on free-info, so it's time you make your dues.  Here's a link to the intro section:

https://forum.308ar.com/forum/22-introductions/

Fair enough, I will and thank you for the help.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2019 at 12:29 AM, 98Z5V said:

You're very welcome - and that's the skin in the game here...  

Thank you so much, put a 5.6 ounce buffer and she ran great with full 25 round magazines.  I put 50 rounds of federal without a malfunction then a 25 round clip with a combination of all the odd poop rounds I had (Magtech, ssa, and a few wolf) just to see and had 1 double feed which I had happy with considering it’s not even broke in yet.  Many many thanks.