• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Handguard

NightStalker

4 minutes ago, NightStalker said:

I know this is a newby question but is the HG interchangeable between AR10 and AR15?

No, different rail heights and size barrel nuts. AR10 and the LR308's platforms use different threads on the barrel nut as well. There are different heights on the LR308 platform as well. It can get confusing but post up here with what you have and the rail you are looking at and you will get some help.

10 minutes ago, NightStalker said:

I’m using Aero Precision upper and lower in my build, looking for free floating 15” HG that won’t break the bank. Thinking about carbon fiber as well with weight in mind but think that will be to much $.

I have to many hobbies my wife says, so trying to keep the cost down where I can  

The Aero M5 receiver uses a DPMS high profile rail (.210) Tang.

Veterans day sales and upcoming black friday sales should yield some good deals on rails.

Edited by jtallen83
more clarity

11 hours ago, NightStalker said:

I’m using Aero Precision upper and lower in my build, looking for free floating 15” HG that won’t break the bank. Thinking about carbon fiber as well with weight in mind but think that will be to much $.

I have to many hobbies my wife says, so trying to keep the cost down where I can  

The Aero M5 rail is good, they offer a 15", it's guaranteed to fit right, and it's light.  My $0.02 on that. 

1 minute ago, NightStalker said:

Thanks I didn’t know about the weight, Aero rec might as well get the HG as well. 

If it wasn't good, I wouldn't have put it on my own gun.  I'll never change it out.  15" Aero M5 rail on a 20" barrel.  Perfect on this gun.  :thumbup:

image.png

P1060700.JPG

1 hour ago, NightStalker said:

I was just on Aero’s I’m confused do you need an enhanced receiver and a special barrel nut to use the HG?

They have the "enhanced" receiver that takes the special setup, and they have the standard M5 stuff.  The rail bolts to either one - it's the same rail. 

What you ORDER is what matters, because if you order the rail for the "enhanced" is doesn't come with a barrel nut - because the "enhanced" doesn't need one.  It bolts directly to the upper receiver on the M5 Enhanced. 

What doesn't your upper look like?  It's either "this" or "this", below...

Enhanced:

apar308504ac-m5e1-enhanced-upper-receive

"regular" or "standard"

apar308503ac-m5-.308-assembled-upper-rec

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

They have the "enhanced" receiver that takes the special setup, and they have the standard M5 stuff.  The rail bolts to either one - it's the same rail. 

What you ORDER is what matters, because if you order the rail for the "enhanced" is doesn't come with a barrel nut - because the "enhanced" doesn't need one.  It bolts directly to the upper receiver on the M5 Enhanced. 

What doesn't your upper look like?  It's either "this" or "this", below...

Enhanced:

apar308504ac-m5e1-enhanced-upper-receive

"regular" or "standard"

apar308503ac-m5-.308-assembled-upper-rec

I haven’t bought one yet, I was just pricing, seems the HG for the standard is more money

1 hour ago, NightStalker said:

I haven’t bought one yet, I was just pricing, seems the HG for the standard is more money

Check the difference in receiver price, it’s about a wash money wise but the enhanced is an upgrade for sure, stiffer, better heat dissipation. Only downside with enhanced is you are stuck with Aero rails, not really a bad thing, they run sales on receiver rail combos often.