• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Don't know what to expect from tumbling brass.

RedRiverII

I'm tumbling some 223 for an hour so far and the brass doesn't seem to bright and shiny.  I believe I'm using corn cob media at the present.  My current status is a guy who has owned reloading gear for 5 or more years and the stuff is still in the packaging.  In other words I bought the gear and never used it.  What should I expect from tumbling?  How do I know it's done?  Thanks.

1 hour ago, RedRiverII said:

Just went to add more,  it's caked up and dry in the bottle.  It's 12 years old,  when I read pout four capfuls in the media I knew it's no good.  It's a paste.

Throw some mineral spirits in there an reconstitute it. I use a solid tablespoon full of Nu Finish car polish and throw a few paper towel strips soaked in mineral spirits right in the walnut shell mix, grabs that evil fine dust that can have lead in it. If I were going to reload the shells right away I would skip the polish, my cases always go into storage.......for another 7 anyway.